Cooking a Skinned Goose!

Share your favourite poultry & egg related recipes.

Moderator: Moderators

Zann48

Cooking a Skinned Goose!

Post by Zann48 » 02 Dec 2013, 09:10

A few months ago I found 2, newly shot, Canada geese. Not liking to see them just dumped and going to waste I returned with the car (I'd been riding at the time) and brought them home. As plucking a goose is pretty daunting I passed them to a friend - who returned them skinned! They're sitting in the freezer and now seems a pretty good time to use them, but, being wild geese, they're not fatty and I don't want to dry them out and spoil them. Has anyone any suitable recipes/ideas please?

nickyc
Chick
Chick

Re: Cooking a Skinned Goose!

Post by nickyc » 02 Dec 2013, 10:02

I'm no expert, having never cooked a goose but I would have thought if you cooked them in goose fat and baste regularly and also cover them in streaky bacon like you would a turkey, they should be fine. I think regular basting with the goose fat will be the key :-)

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 02 Dec 2013, 10:42

Or use a roasting bag to keep the moisture in.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 02 Dec 2013, 15:49

Since you have no idea how old these birds are, I would be inclined to casserole them - like older game birds. Or cut off one breast and try that fried in bacon fat and judge it's age and palatability.

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 02 Dec 2013, 19:51

Long, slow cooking in either a terracotta casserole or a dimple topped enamel one. A peeled apple or so inside and a layer of onion beneath, minimal water, and several hours in the oven.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.