Pekins

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Pekins

Postby jammin23 » 28 Sep 2012, 14:54

As we've had a couple of sunny days i thought id take the chance of a few more pix hope you like them!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jammin23
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Postby scottish vamps » 26 Dec 2012, 23:59

I used to have 4 pekins and bred a crop for myself but left home and they had to go. I had white hen, lavender laced hen and a lavender splash lad. I'm wanting to hatch my own set again but im looking for a box of 2 silkies and 4-6 pekin eggs.
scottish vamps

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Sudbury Pekins » 30 Dec 2012, 22:48

Could someone respond as I have no idea about breeding Cuckoo's, now I have a good trio but unsure about adding blacks, is it wise and do I need to? Thank you.
Sudbury Pekins

Postby Moody_Chook » 23 Feb 2013, 18:10

Very interested in acquiring some of these lovely birds. I am especially taken by the mottled, millefleur, wheaten and other rare varieties. I live in south yorks and find pure bred rare colour pekins hard to come by. Some stunning photos on this thread. Can't wait to add my own pics soon!
Moody_Chook

Postby Danihen » 10 Mar 2013, 14:29

Hi all, we are hoping to hatch some lavender pekins really soon! Is it really true they are easy to sex at hatching by their combs?? It would be a bonus, but not the end of the world. Thanks for the input, can't wait!!
Danihen

Postby Kelly-salmon » 24 Mar 2013, 13:01

I have just picked up two a chocolate and a black
Kelly-salmon
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 33 posts

Postby Chris Kurzfeld » 14 Apr 2013, 14:58

I have a trio of black mottled and 3 black frizzled pullets. The frizzled are younger than the mottled and have only really just started to lay. My mottled cockerel is , what I have been told, a hysterical mottled boy. I have been hatching some of their offspring and up till the last hatch all chicks have been black and yellow - then this hatch out popped a cream and silvery blue one! The parents came from my sister who hatched them last year - she bought the eggs - and she kept a trio herself and gave me the other trio, she too has hatched a silvery blue one a while ago which has turned out a blue splash? I know nothing about genetics - especially of Pekins, but where did the blue come from?
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!
Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 28 posts

Postby Kelly-salmon » 14 Apr 2013, 20:17

how big should they be as i now also have two more a silver partridge and a gold partridge i measured the gold partridge who is called pee wee for very obvious reason and she only stands 15cm from head to floor i was told she was point of lay but she is so much smaller then the other three
Kelly-salmon
Pullet
Pullet

Postby Daizee » 19 Apr 2013, 23:03

I am looking to get some of these beautiful hens. I am in SE and can do Surrey/Sussex quite easily. Can anyone recommend good breeders and what price we should pay?
Daizee
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Kelly-salmon » 08 Jul 2013, 20:22

hi I am looking at breeding and showing these birds can someone help me on how to get different colours and what should I be looking for in the birds
Kelly-salmon
Pullet
Pullet

Postby laffinfowl » 09 Jul 2013, 10:43

Kelly i,d say your best bet would be to join an actual Pekin Forum and ask whatever questions you need answers to,on the older pages of this thread theres some Pekin forums mentioned that you could check up on and maybe join,if the links no longer work then you could just Google "Pekin Forums" i,m sure theres plenty out there and you,ll get much better responses to your questions from people who breed these birds and know what to look for in the Pekin breed.Good luck with your project. :)
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 197 posts

Postby Trebord » 20 Feb 2014, 18:52

Hi
I have 3 pekins and I am convinced that the frizzle is a male. They are just coming up to 1 year old (home hatched). It has never crowed or shown and cockerel like behaviour but the comb and wattles look different to the other two and it looks slightly bigger - but this could just be the feathers! Any opinions welcome!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trebord
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 17 posts

Postby kated » 21 Feb 2014, 14:21

Certainly looks male to me.
kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 82 posts

Postby Trebord » 21 Feb 2014, 19:38

Thanks Kated. Any ideas as to why it (he) is not crowing?
Trebord
Chick
Chick

Postby Trebord » 28 Feb 2014, 15:31

Mystery solved SHE laid an egg today!!
Trebord
Chick
Chick

PreviousNext