Poorly Gold Brahma

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Poorly Gold Brahma

Postby bartinium » 12 Jan 2016, 00:09

Hi
She is 31 weeks old, ive had her since she was about 10 weeks old in August. She is yet to lay, not expecting her first egg until the spring is on its way.
For approximately a week or ten days she has been making a strange noise which after some internet searching tonight seems to be called 'snicking'. She had no other symptoms at all and to be honest I thought the snicking was just a different noise she was making, until today, when she has her tail down, hunched, bright green poo and is not eating.
I have brought her inside and given her yoghurt which she is keen to eat. She is showing no signs of runny nose or watery swollen eyes. I am at a loss as to what could be wrong or what to do. Could it Just be a cough which time and tlc will sort out or is it not quite that simple?!
I've ordered some nutri drops and poultry zest which should arrive tomorrow.

Any advice much appreciated
Thanks
bartinium

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Poorly Gold Brahma

Postby CP » 13 Jan 2016, 11:33

Green poo can sometimes indicate a heavy worm infestation so has she been wormed?

Have you checked for sour or impacted crop?

Hopefully the nutri drops & poultry zest may perk her up a bit.
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 166 posts

Re: Poorly Gold Brahma

Postby bartinium » 13 Jan 2016, 17:33

Thanks for your reply. The girls were wormed with flubenvet mid November ... Should they need doing again already do you think?
The trouble is she is not wanting any food now so I don't know how I would get medicated feed down her! Trying to get the nutri drops down her was nigh on impossible even with 2 of us! I think that has put her off completely!
I just tested her outside at treat time with the others and she picked a bit of scratch but then wandered off back towards the house on her own.
Pretty certain it's not sour crop as have had one in the past with that. The crop is empty, doesn't feel impacted.
The bizarre noise is the only other symptom I can see which is almost like a hiccup with a shake of the head. No gaping or neck stretching though. We have found a leak over the nest box so part of the floor is quite damp. Lots of rain and cold weather. Am hoping beyond hope that a few days In The warm will sort her out but apetite not improving.
Am really stumped :(.
bartinium

Liked in: 0 post

Return to Poultry Clinic