Broody (or not?)

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Broody (or not?)

Postby monaghan » 14 Jul 2015, 19:04

I have a particularly unusual chicken, she's gone broody a few times in the past and is usually "cured" by a short spell in "Chicken Prison" (a small wire cage under the coop so it is sheltered from the direct sunlight and has rain protection), however, this particular chicken was not showing any signs of being broody whilst in prison so I let her out, no immediate dash into the nest box (result! 1 reformed prisoner or so I thought!), she is fully alert and eating & drinking, fighting to get out of prison and when we let her out she mixes in with the others OK to eat and drink, dust bath and so on, however, within an hour or so of release she's nowhere to be seen, an inspection of the nest box finds the missing chicken.

This chicken is not showing any broody signs other than running off to the nest box, she's still fully alert when in the nest box, she's very strong and difficult to remove from the nest box, she's laid eggs whilst in chicken prison so I'd assumed hormones were back under control, but on release, still sneaks back to the nest box when nobody's looking.

The problem we have is that when she's like this she upsets the other's routines, the old one stops laying and the others seem to be disturbed in their laying for a day or 2,

She's a hybrid (black with ginger / brown neck feathers), she is very strong so I'm concerned she may hurt herself whilst trying to escape.

She's back in prison again and has been a few days now.

Any suggestions that don't involve broken necks and curry / roast dinner? (I have been so tempted with this one!)
monaghan

Liked in: 2 posts

Re: Broody (or not?)

Postby subruss » 14 Jul 2015, 19:28

give her some eggs to sit on in a box away from the nest boxes, fertile ones if you want chicks or dudes if you don,t and let her get on with it she will get over it or I know a good recipe if she doesent
subruss

Liked in: 354 posts

Postby monaghan » 14 Jul 2015, 22:38

I've not really got the space to have another box or an easy source of fertile eggs, will an extended period in "chicken prison" help?
monaghan

Postby drfish » 15 Jul 2015, 14:08

Not necessarily. Some are just born to brood. Whereas others may never feel inclined. I had a Silkie who used to love going broody. Never actually let her sit as I had an incubator, but now I've rehomed the chickens with bro-in-law, she's currently sat on a clutch of around 15 eggs. So she'll at least get to know how it feels to b a proper mummy this time. At the ripe old age of 4.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby monaghan » 15 Jul 2015, 17:53

Hmm, curry perhaps :)

This is one pesky chicken, she escapes the main run and is quite happy to do so while we are watching (although I've now put netting over the top and blocked the point she was getting under the fence so she can no longer get out!)

I'll give her a while and see how she gets on.

Is it common for a hen to seem so normal and then when nobody's looking to sneak off to the egg box or do I just have a very cunning girl?
monaghan

Postby subruss » 19 Jul 2015, 15:19

yes its normal, persistence is a definite trait in some birds. try finding her a home or selling her as a good broody you may be surprised some people have problems getting good broody. :thumbright:
subruss

Liked in: 354 posts

Return to Poultry Clinic