Unabsorbed yolk

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Unabsorbed yolk

Postby CP » 29 Apr 2015, 10:30

Our last chick to hatch yesterday has an unabsorbed yolk sack.
Left it in the incubator but was fearing the worst this morning but...it's as bright as a button!
Still has gooey remnants attached & has smeared a bloody yukky mess all over the base of the incubator. :-&

Going to deal with it now....wish me luck! 8-[
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 166 posts

Re: Unabsorbed yolk

Postby ladyplumber » 29 Apr 2015, 15:40

Ha ha ha, good luck and well done :grin:
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington
ladyplumber

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby laffinfowl » 29 Apr 2015, 21:47

A quick blast of blue spray worked on one i did,nt want to lose some years ago,disguises it from other chicks having a peck aswell
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 197 posts

Postby CP » 30 Apr 2015, 01:27

I cleaned it as best I could, doused it liberally with wound powder & it was quite lively afterwards, but sadly it's died this evening. :cry:

Wasn't only the yolk, but there was also what looked like 'innards' on the outside.....I should have been brave & culled it really. :(
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 166 posts

Postby ladyplumber » 02 May 2015, 10:08

Strangely, there seems to be a run on this type of hatch defect this year.

I don't know what may be causing it, but I've read of many similar cases on other forums and pages. I'm afraid I would cull straight away under those circumstances.
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington
ladyplumber

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby subruss » 02 May 2015, 22:51

I have always though this problem was caused by a premature hatch due to temperature fluctuations or being impatient and helping them out of the egg etc :(
subruss

Liked in: 354 posts

Return to Poultry Clinic