Blind hen

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Blind hen

Postby organic chick » 06 Apr 2015, 17:24

Well they say things go in three's. One Warren died, one culled and now one has very low if not non existent vision. Weighed her yesterday to ascertain she is eating, but she does find her way around the big run and in and out of the coop each day. She no longer manages to get up onto the high perches in the run. Still laying and responding to my voice.
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser

Moriarty likes this post.
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 124 posts

Re: Blind hen

Postby Henwife » 06 Apr 2015, 19:25

So long as she can cope, she will. Just don't move anything around (I don't have to add keep an eye on her, because I know you will).
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

Moriarty likes this post.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby organic chick » 07 Apr 2015, 09:10

Unfortunately I have loads of experience here as my mum was blind and I never knew a sighted mum. The good news is No 6. (the hen concerned) is now eating much better. I still cannot get her to hand feed like she used to do, but she is using the treadle feeders after the morning rush is over.
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser

ladyplumber likes this post.
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Postby Henwife » 08 Apr 2015, 07:11

She's definitely in good hands then.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby organic chick » 10 Apr 2015, 10:16

Well a few days on and this plucky hen is laying well and feeding well from the treadle feeders. I miss not being able to hand feed her but she still cannot manage it. I think the clunk of the treadle feeder is so ingrained in her mind that she learned to feed that way again by hearing rather than seeing her food source. The other hens are treating her as normal apart from Florence (CLB) the wonderhen. Aptly named Florence, she seems to have taken No.6 under her wing so to speak. It's rather nice to see the two of them 'talking' together.
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Return to Poultry Clinic