Red bottom

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Red bottom

Postby mrsscorpio66 » 04 Apr 2015, 16:03

We have a chicken about 18 months old. Over the last few days noticed she had a lot of poo on her tail feathers and she has a red bottom that is protruding she laid an egg on Thursday which had a smear of blood on it but has not laid since then. The other four hens aren't pecking her bur she is trying to clean herself can't see any cuts she had some white at the end of the protrusen which she let me clean off. Should I give her a warm bath any ideas what's wrong she is my sons favorite and would hate to lose her
mrsscorpio66
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 2 posts

Re: Red bottom

Postby ladyplumber » 05 Apr 2015, 08:29

The most important thing for the time being, is to be very careful that the others don't attempt to peck at her vent, and separate her if need be to prevent this. Is the protrusion shrinking back in ? If not, application of some haemmoroid cream from the chemist will help to shrink it down.
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington
ladyplumber

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby mrsscorpio66 » 05 Apr 2015, 09:48

Thank you for your quick reply and advice dashed out yesterday got some hemmoroid cream gave her a warm saline bath last night to clean her up

ladyplumber likes this post.
mrsscorpio66
Chick
Chick

Postby ladyplumber » 06 Apr 2015, 12:13

How is it looking today ?
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington
ladyplumber

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby mrsscorpio66 » 06 Apr 2015, 14:03

Very good was a prolapse gently pushed it back in she laid egg yesterday and all her soft black fluffy feathers back this morning again thanks for your help.
Debbi x

ladyplumber likes this post.
mrsscorpio66
Chick
Chick

Postby mrsscorpio66 » 06 Apr 2015, 14:09

My son is so happy as "Chuckles" is his pet, we only have five chickens and two ducks so it was disturbing to find her like that. At moment only two chickens laying and one duck is this usual cos of the funny weather conditions we have been having we are on the south coast of UK
mrsscorpio66
Chick
Chick

Postby drfish » 07 Apr 2015, 14:39

Weather shouldn't play a part really, it's more daylight related than weather. Possible they could be having a mini-moult or something. How old are they all?
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby mrsscorpio66 » 07 Apr 2015, 14:44

Hi drfish they are nearly two years old kept mainly as pets. Debbi
mrsscorpio66
Chick
Chick

Postby drfish » 07 Apr 2015, 16:18

I'd suggest a moult then if they are off lay. If they're pure breeds, it's usually a lot harder to see a moult than with hybrids. You don't tend to get the same 'oven ready' look. None of my chickens, except the frizzle pekin, have ever properly moulted, they just stop laying, lose a few feathers here and there, then start laying again. My ducks have all just had a month or so off-lay, but are going at it full tilt again now. I'm currently over-run with eggs. Everything is laying like a trooper, even the 4 year old silkies.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Return to Poultry Clinic