Eggs with no shells

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Eggs with no shells

Postby john h » 17 Mar 2015, 16:01

Hi, I am new to this forum. I just have 2 hens, both about 20 months old, one of them layed constantly for about 15 months, even through the winter months until about 5 or 6 weeks ago. Since then she has layed about 8 or 9 eggs with no shells, one every few days or so. I realise she has done well to lay all that time and knew she would stop for a while sometime but I just wonder why she keeps laying these shell-less ones. She is perfectly fine, as is the other one who is still laying about 4 or 5 a week, very happy and eating fine. I put oyster shell in with the food, and plenty of grit, and even got some limestone flour a couple of weeks ago in case she was short of calcium. She has been moulting every so slightly too.
I just wondered how long they do actually stop laying for until they start again, and should I be concerned about the odd shell less egg?
Thanks. :)
john h

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Eggs with no shells

Postby subruss » 17 Mar 2015, 16:26

The odd egg without shell is not really a problem aslong as your birds have a good balanced diet, but it should only last a few days to a week at most. I have known it happen to young, prime of life and old birds and personally it has never caused a serious problem BUT if it goes on to long it could be a sign of something more serious , what that may be would a pure guess and I doubt a vet would know either, so basically do as you are doing and hope it all comes right soon. :thumbright: .
As for the amount of time they stop laying, some of mine take a couple of weeks off and others a couple of months, weather,age, breed, stress etc can all have a baring on this.
subruss

Liked in: 354 posts

Postby john h » 17 Mar 2015, 17:00

Thanks for your reply. She has been doing this for a few weeks, but perhaps just one or maybe two a week. She also did a couple that looked like rubber eggs, the whole egg was there but the shell wasn't hard. I wondered if I am giving them too many treats, they have porridge every day, some lettuce and tomato every day, and perhaps a bit of spaghetti or mashed potato. Perhaps I could put a bit of the limestone flour in with the spaghetti or porridge?
john h

Postby subruss » 18 Mar 2015, 10:03

This is a personnel view but if you give them layers pellets as the staple and a bit of mixed grain as a treat with the exception of a bit of veg now and again( if free range they don,t even need this) I would knock the rest on the head. Why are you giving them porridge :? They do not need all the other stuff either spagetti. mashed potatoes etc should only really be used as a rare treat, over feeding with treats could be the problem for that particular hen. So my advice would be cut the feeding down to the basics ie layers and grain and stop the treats for awhile and reintroduce the treats in a week or two but only as occasional treats. :) :thumbright:
subruss

Postby drfish » 18 Mar 2015, 15:44

Echo what Subruss has said. Cut down on the human food. They don't need it, don't really benefit from it, and it could well be the source of the issue. Mine get nothing much other than layers pellets, odd handful of mixed corn or wild bird seed (depending if I have any at the time), and oyster shell/grit. They may occasionally get scraps such as rice, veg off cuts, and even the odd small portion of chips, but this is very rare to be honest. Mainly because my family are all greedy buggers so not much goes to waste :lol:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby john h » 18 Mar 2015, 17:30

Thanks for your replies. I will cut down on the scraps and see how they go. I have been giving them porridge in the mornings, during the winter months, they love it, but only a little bit in the bowl. Just enough for a few pecks each. :lol:
john h

Postby subruss » 19 Mar 2015, 10:28

Please dont take this personally but I hear alot about people given their birds porridge(I am assuming warm)in the winter thinking this will help their bird, I have said this before,the chickens digestive system is different to our, they have a crop so warm food does not go into the body and keep them warm like it does with us it is more likely to increase fermentation and bacteria growth in the crop and COULD cause more problems than it is worth, when feeding your birds think chicken not human, good quality chicken food is all they need to keep warm. THIS IS A GENERAL RANT AND NOT AIMED ONLY AT THE POSTER. :thumbright:

2 people like this post.
subruss

Return to Poultry Clinic