A bad year for leg mites?

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

son of eddy
Pullet
Pullet

A bad year for leg mites?

Post by son of eddy » 08 Sep 2013, 16:03

As nearly half my flock have got them and apart from Dirty Dave [a Buff Orp cock] who I got a long long time ago who came with this problem already treated I've never had this problem in my birds before.

The only birds I have bought in this year have been five Light Sussexs hens and a Black Orp cock and they have all come with the infestation.

But I can't put it down to the newcomers bringing it in because as standard they have gone into isolation and not mixed with the others. The Black Orp came months ago and I treated him immediately. The light Sussex's came a couple of weeks ago from overcrowded conditions, a guy who was selling utility stock that he kept on his allotment where grass was a long forgotten memory, so I suppose it was no surprise that they had it. But some of my Rhodies, Barnies and Brahma's have it too and they could only have picked it up from home.

I scoured the local town yesterday for a scabies lotion such as Benzyl Benzoate and the only thing I could get was a cream to apply. Which was fine, except that it cost me over ten quid and its only done the Sussex's, I'd be bankrupt before I got half way through treating all the other hens. Fortunately it would appear that Benzyl Benzoate treats sweet itch in horses as well so may get it from the local equestrian supplies place in the morning.

Having had a good check around I must have another ten or more hens that need treatment, some quite bad and others slightly affected.