New Hens, when will they resume laying ?

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

fuzioneer

New Hens, when will they resume laying ?

Post by fuzioneer » 22 Aug 2013, 19:17

We had originally just 3 hens for over a year:-
1 X Amber Brown / 1 X Lohman Brown and a Bovans Nera (I think), but lost one (The Lohman) without knowing why (Very sudden death)

After a few weeks had passed we decided to get a couple more and so we took on 1 X White leghorn and 1 X Speckeldy Maran, now our 2 original hens didn't take to the two newcomers at all well, I have placed 2 X water and 2 X pellet containers to stop the fighting and allow the two new hens to eat and drink without being attacked and over time the leghorn seems to have been accepted but the Speckeldy is still being given a hard time.

Well our original two hens were very good layers, with 2 x eggs per day nearly every day.

Obviously the first few days I think we probably had 1 egg a day altogether whilst they got the measure of each other, and then we had our first white egg (from the leghorn) and then a gap and then we seem to have hit a wall of 2 X eggs a day which has carried on for a few weeks now, I think one of our original hens is still laying and the new speckeldy due to the colouring of the eggs, but definitely no more white eggs and one of our original hens has its nose out of joint or something and isn't laying either.

I assume this is all a result of 2 new vs 2 old hens etc and the natural pecking order being established, but how long does this go on for ?

How can i 100% ascertain which hens are laying as I am not here during the day ?

They get layers pellets, some shell, water, and a handful of corn at night and get to free range most days for a few hours minimum.