sick girls Help!

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

sick girls Help!

Postby kathygean » 25 Mar 2013, 21:46

Hi everyone. I'm in California, and have been having issues with my girls getting sick and dying no matter what I do. It resembles something I've read about called "sour craw"? What the heck causes this? It is only one chicken at a time with months in between events. I've changed the water dishes, chop the grass I feed them into small pieces, give them all sorts of yummies from my garden, cook them oatmeal for a treat and generally spoil them rotten. Is there a chance that they are contracting salmonella from the snails I pick for them? They LOVE them but if it makes them sick I'll stop. Recently I had a hen get very listless, not really eating, light as a feather and not drinking. I thought she was a goner. I made her some oatmeal which she actually ate and did that every day for week. She actually made it so I don't think it was the same thing as the other hens caught or she'd be dead by now. Any ideas? The sour craw hens would get a bloated craw and you could push out a sulpher smelling liquid. Disgusting. Have no idea how to stop it.
kathygean

Liked in: 1 post

Re: sick girls Help!

Postby Henwife » 26 Mar 2013, 08:17

Google Sour Crop, which is what it's known as in the UK. Stop giving them anything but poultry mash or pellets for a month or so - and I include chopped grass in this. Let them pick up whatever they find, but leave them to work for it. Everybody has a pet way of dealing with this - mine is to upend the bird to empty out the liquid and dose with bicarbonate of soda in their water. Most recover. A bird that 'goes light' gets culled as it's usually incurable.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Re: sick girls Help!

Postby laffinfowl » 26 Mar 2013, 13:38

You can do a search on sour crop on here,theres plenty of info and then decide which method suits you best,maybe the soil your birds are on is contributing to the problem,they need a good supply of grit to be able to digest their food,long stemmy grass is a major contributor to the problem too.
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 197 posts

Return to Poultry Clinic