Broomstick dispatch method

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Broomstick dispatch method

Postby mollteezers » 24 Dec 2011, 21:12

Umm I had to use it last night on.very sick hen. Very quick, little/no distress for either of us. . The video really helped, I knew exactly what to do and expect. Thank you...I've wrung the necks of injured pigeons, but couldn't trust myself to do it on a large fowl.

Thanks again x
mollteezers

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Helen Jones » 09 Feb 2012, 23:05

Do they always flap when they're dead... is that the 'sign'?

We had to do this the other day and although we were convinced the neck 'gave' the bird didn't flap.

It was almost like her neck was just dislocated rather than broken! We'd definitely heard it go though as it cracked.

We ended up standing on either end of the broomstick with full bodyweight to make sure :-&

It wasn't pleasant!

H
Helen Jones

Postby chuck1 » 10 Feb 2012, 02:16

I've never used the broomstick but they nearly always flap when they're killed, some more than others. A feel along the neck should and you should be able to feel the break.
chuck1

Postby CP » 10 Feb 2012, 04:26

If the bird is really ill & weak, there can be little or no flapping at all. ;)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 167 posts

Postby Helen Jones » 10 Feb 2012, 08:51

Initially when we did it there was no flapping, the bird was floppy, but after a while, and having stood on the broom she then started flapping.

Do we have to 'angle' the pull or anything? We just pulled!

H
Helen Jones

Postby laffinfowl » 10 Feb 2012, 13:04

I think the most important Helen when using this method is to place the broomstick or whatever you are using directly behind the head,your knees are bent as you placed the broom there then a slow steady pull on the legs as you stand upright and you should feel the neck dislocate,i can normally manage to place a hand across the wings to control the flapping as i stand upstraight again.Some will flap for 40 seconds to a minute some a lot less depending on age and condition of the bird i think.
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 197 posts

Postby Captain Carrot » 10 Feb 2012, 20:27

The idea is to dislocate the neck which severs the spinal cord.

It's better to use more force than you think you'll need, until you've done a few and get the hang of it. Not that its a nice thing to get the hang of.
Altsteirer, Bielefelders, Welsummer bantams, Silkies and Muscovy ducks (sold a load of them :) )
Captain Carrot
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 0 post

Postby mollteezers » 10 Feb 2012, 21:07

I've only done it once, but watched the video quite a few times, and was amazed how confident I felt doing it, and how swift and stressless it was. Not a nice job, but the right thing.
mollteezers

Postby Lumpy Golightly » 04 Apr 2013, 20:14

Thanks for sharing - not the easiest thing we've ever had to do but the video was invaluable in putting our little red hen out of her misery.
Lumpy Golightly

Previous

Return to Poultry Clinic