Broomstick dispatch method

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

CP

Broomstick dispatch method

Post by CP » 24 Aug 2010, 01:56

This video of the broomstick dispatch method is also in 'Table Birds & Animals'.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=30066
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

Greggorio

Re: Broomstick dispatch method

Post by Greggorio » 24 Aug 2010, 08:10

any particular reason you're telling us?

podstable

Post by podstable » 24 Aug 2010, 10:26

---------Good little clip , shows how it can be done in a very calm and non distressing way -- something we all need to be able to do . Reassuring for me as I made a complete ba--s up of it last time I had to do the deed! Ros

Greggorio

Post by Greggorio » 24 Aug 2010, 10:39

how can you balls it up. The worst thing that can happen is its head comes off which atleast assures death ;) I've done that loadssss of times before i got the hang of it

CP

Post by CP » 24 Aug 2010, 14:15

Greggorio wrote:any particular reason you're telling us?

Because people may miss it being in the other section only. ;)
Might be needed in an emergency for a sick or wounded bird.
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

podstable

Post by podstable » 24 Aug 2010, 14:47

Greggorio wrote:how can you balls it up. The worst thing that can happen is its head comes off which atleast assures death ;) I've done that loadssss of times before i got the hang of it

I was quite surprised myself! I agree if head comes off it could be dead!!!! No----a tough middle aged cockerel , just didn't get neck to' give' instantly , so bird upset,so me upset too! So it ended in a panic/struggle which I was not happy about.Ros-----

lilysnana

Post by lilysnana » 27 Aug 2010, 20:56

I was extremely grateful to view this the other day when I had to do my first dispatch. There was a description in the book I have but nothing beats actually seeing it being done. Thanks very much! =D>

Hev

Post by Hev » 07 Sep 2010, 21:33

I always use the broomstick as my arms aren't long enough and I'm not strong enough to cull in the 'traditional' manner! The birds are always calm and it's very efficient in my opinion. Pulling off heads means a bloody mess!

Big D

Post by Big D » 25 Mar 2011, 11:54

I used the head on the chopping block method. Quick smack on the back of the neck/head with the back of the axe head. Instant...........the flopping about and spasms make me want to :puke: though

Jeanette
Chick
Chick

Post by Jeanette » 11 May 2011, 19:01

Quite interested in your opinions in this method as i mentioned this form of dispatch on another well known forum and got shot down in flames saying that it was not recognized by defra. But like me and others, i have repetitive strain injury and so have little strength in my wrists and so found this the best definite humane way to dispatch.

CP

Post by CP » 12 May 2011, 03:47

I was shown this method by someone who is DEFRA registered & trained so don't know where your objector got their info from.
Happy in Hampshire!

mollteezers

Post by mollteezers » 24 Dec 2011, 09:44

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 24 Dec 2011, 10:50

:scratch:

mollteezers

Post by mollteezers » 24 Dec 2011, 11:14

I posted then deleted. Moll x

Captain Carrot
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Captain Carrot » 24 Dec 2011, 17:22

I'd never heard of this method before I joined this forum, I like it a lot, although I only use it for my ducks and rabbits. Also unlike using an axe there isn#t usually all that much blood spilled.
Altsteirer, Bielefelders, Welsummer bantams, Silkies and Muscovy ducks (sold a load of them :) )