Tylan soluble dosage???

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Tylan soluble dosage???

Postby jacquie879 » 18 Jul 2014, 00:11

Advice please... I have recently acquired 6 ex commerical free range hens however a couple have been gurgling and rattling and the majority have runny noses. However they are all okay in themselves..eating and drinking and doing the usual chicken things though one seems quite poorly. I took her to the vet and she recommended Tylan soluble and to give to all. While I don't have a problem with this as they obviously have respiratory problems, I am a little concerned about the dose she advised - 2 grams per 1 litre for 14days. Having looked at websites and on the Tylan bottle they recommend a lot less. Has anyone else given their birds the same amount as I have been advised?
jacquie879

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Tylan soluble dosage???

Postby Henwife » 18 Jul 2014, 07:48

Give them what the vet advises. there is no point in paying vet fees and then ignoring instructions. That said, I usually gave more than instructed with no ill effects since I've always been rather slap dash about dosage.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby brooksidepoultry » 19 Jul 2014, 23:53

Listen to your vet & any queries contact them & not hearsay off google - sorry but when people do that, that's when problems start to arise as they don't listen to the professionals x
A country lass who loves it all x.
brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 33 posts

Postby Henwife » 20 Jul 2014, 07:16

If anybody has read the dosage on a tylan bottle, they will understand the problem. It even reduced my vet to giggles as no normal household would have scales able to measure the amount. Hence my rather slapdash approach to dosage: poultry are unlikely to overdose, but with largeer livestock I would strive for accuracy.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby brooksidepoultry » 20 Jul 2014, 10:50

I do agree Tylan is a bugger to work out dosages for & you'd have thought veterinary pharmaceutical companies would have sorted something better out by now ](*,)
A country lass who loves it all x.
brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 33 posts

Postby Touchstone » 25 May 2017, 16:20

My vet wouldn't give A B without seeing the chickens, wanted £33 for a consultation,, I said I know what's the matter they're rattling and sneezing , but he wouldn't supply. Got some Karidox off a commercial friend for free and it's clearing up.
Touchstone

Liked in: 0 post

Return to Poultry Clinic