Definitive help for the spring - redmite

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

spiggy

Re: Definitive help for the spring - redmite

Post by spiggy » 18 Jul 2010, 15:03

Dunno if people will be interested, but I've found the following way very useful for testing for red mite:

Paper Traps:- Take some small squares of paper (preferably plain, white) 5cm x 5cm approx. Fold the paper longways as if to make a fan. Flatten it so you have a long strip with lots of folds. Make lots of these, and place them in the crevices of the chicken house.
Leave for a day and a night, or 2 days and 2 nights.
During the day, any mites present will hide inbetween the folds of paper.
On the next day, remove the paper traps, inspecting each one by first squeezing it, then unravelling it. Any mites will be squished in the folds and you'll be able to spot them easily on the paper.

molliedogspabottom

Post by molliedogspabottom » 18 Jul 2010, 22:45

Hi
what a fantastically simple idea I will start folding first thing tomorrow. I will let you know how I get on. Any more ideas you can pass on?

Kind regards Heather

CP

Post by CP » 18 Jul 2010, 22:49

We had a similar idea but used small pieces of wood laid onto a flat surface in the coop. Used to get red mite congregating underneath those too. ;)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

molliedogspabottom

Post by molliedogspabottom » 18 Jul 2010, 23:07

Hi

I have to say I quite like idea of squishing the little devils between the folds he! he!

Bhindi
Hen
Hen

Post by Bhindi » 18 Jul 2010, 23:08

Sometime ago someone on the forum suggested using corregated cardboard, as its a perfect home for them, and then remove and burn...But you wouldnt get the rewarding pleasure of seeing the spats which you would with the white paper lol.
I 'still' don't eat things that had a face!

spiggy

Post by spiggy » 24 Jul 2010, 16:26

Glad you like the paper thing 8) I love squishing them too :grin:

Another thing I do is use tree branches for perches - the mites seem to prefer these to the cracks in the henhouse, and will move onto the branch perch.
When you see redmite/redmite evidence on the perch, either kill them with clove oil/veg oil mix, or burn the perch and make another one.

Helen Jones

Post by Helen Jones » 19 Oct 2010, 12:52

spiggy wrote:Dunno if people will be interested, but I've found the following way very useful for testing for red mite:

Paper Traps:- Take some small squares of paper (preferably plain, white) 5cm x 5cm approx. Fold the paper longways as if to make a fan. Flatten it so you have a long strip with lots of folds. Make lots of these, and place them in the crevices of the chicken house.
Leave for a day and a night, or 2 days and 2 nights.
During the day, any mites present will hide inbetween the folds of paper.
On the next day, remove the paper traps, inspecting each one by first squeezing it, then unravelling it. Any mites will be squished in the folds and you'll be able to spot them easily on the paper.
What a fab idea... I don't think we've got red mite, only had our girls for 6 weeks, but I am paranoid about getting them and will give this a go anyway, just to be absolutely sure.

Thanks.

H :grin:

dannyson

Post by dannyson » 14 Nov 2010, 02:25

Yeah ... I'm the same .... paranoid at getting red mites ... but only had my girls since July ... still ... gave the folded paper a whirl ........ and I'm pleased to report no evidence of red mite .. yet!! :? \:D/

mardatha

Post by mardatha » 18 Jan 2011, 18:31

Can I resurrect this thread to ask how do you prevent them in the first place ? Where do they come from? Would they have to be on the hens to begin with ?

tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by tweedy » 18 Jan 2011, 19:13

Wild birds bring them in , more of a warmer weather problem generally. Plenty of info on here about the dreaded RM.

dannyson

Post by dannyson » 19 Jan 2011, 00:37

Well - I don't know about being a warm weather problem ...... I found thousands of them underneath the droppings board the other day ... and the hens had shown no sign re reduced eggs etc etc... (but underneath some are very bald) ....maybe they had had them from the off back in July when I got them. I made the mistake of cleaning and dusting everything with bio dry and the like without checking underneath the droppings board!! :shock: and I clean up every day and thought I had a really regimented and clean regime.... #-o - droppings board now gone.....

So - anyway - sticking to the no chemicals jobby - and have dusted them (they don't like being upturned do they ....) and most of the suspect coop areas ..... so hopefully that will do the job - but will keep a watch out - obviously .... mind you I keep itching all over and wonder if they have got me as well? #-o ... Is that possible?

CP

Post by CP » 19 Jan 2011, 02:47

Yes it is possible. I've had them on me when there's been a large infestation. Sitting at my PC in the evening & you can feel a tickle in your hair, down your back or your cleavage....well, you wouldn't get that one, obviously! :lol:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

mardatha

Post by mardatha » 19 Jan 2011, 10:38

O GOD :shock:

CP

Post by CP » 19 Jan 2011, 11:00

Yes, pretty much freaked me out the 1st time it happened but they don't seem to bite & having a good shower gets rid of them anyway so not really that much of a problem! 8) :lol:
Happy in Hampshire!

LILLY & BETTY

Post by LILLY & BETTY » 19 Jan 2011, 11:02

OK, Been reading some of the ways to get rid of RM, When you say torch the coop, what does this mean? I presume blow torch the coop, but doesnt it set fire to it??