Definitive help for the spring - redmite

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

CP

Re: Definitive help for the spring - redmite

Post by CP » 19 Jan 2011, 11:05

Use the blowtorch carefully, especially on the perch ends & tiny cracks & crevices. You'll probably scorch the wood but as long as you don't hold it there for long it shouldn't catch fire. ;)

Be especially careful if you've recenty creosoted the wood as I believe its flammable?
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

andoy

Post by andoy » 19 Jan 2011, 11:07

LILLY & BETTY wrote:OK, Been reading some of the ways to get rid of RM, When you say torch the coop, what does this mean? I presume blow torch the coop, but doesnt it set fire to it??
try not to set fire to it is the idea, but I'm sure Ziggy willy be around shortly with a story about that :lol:

LILLY & BETTY

Post by LILLY & BETTY » 19 Jan 2011, 11:08

andoy wrote:
LILLY & BETTY wrote:OK, Been reading some of the ways to get rid of RM, When you say torch the coop, what does this mean? I presume blow torch the coop, but doesnt it set fire to it??
try not to set fire to it is the idea, but I'm sure Ziggy willy be around shortly with a story about that :lol:

Yeah no doubt he will :lol: just seems a bit drastic blow torching and dangerous.

jd67stella

Post by jd67stella » 12 Feb 2011, 22:20

hi i recently was told to use parrifine, and that he swears by it, spray it all over your coop

CP

Post by CP » 13 Feb 2011, 12:14

..& don't go in there smoking a cigarette! :shock: :bom:

Not sure if paraffin would be good at getting rid of them or not. There are so many products you can buy for use on redmite, so really you take your choice & if it works for you, then great! :grin:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Chris Kurzfeld » 19 Feb 2011, 10:27

Does anyone use ant spray? I use the powder and Net-Tex but thought I may try the spray in an aerosol to get at the really hard to get at places. If anyone uses an ant aerosol can you tell me what it is called please as I have only seen the aerosols without permethryn.
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!

dannyson

Post by dannyson » 20 Feb 2011, 01:30

Well - 'my' redmite wade through ant powder no problem..... :evil:

Frizzle1

Post by Frizzle1 » 23 Feb 2011, 22:17

A very good supplier I know of and deal with all the time is World wide Poultry Beaulieu, very knowledgable with some good advise. They do have a website. I've never seen so many hens in one place. Hope this helps

dannyson

Post by dannyson » 01 Mar 2011, 23:24

Thanks frizzel - but don't seem to offer anything new against red mite....

wireworm

Post by wireworm » 02 Mar 2011, 16:30

How about this:

http://www.pestcontroldirect.co.uk/acat ... _Can_.html

Diatomaceous earth in an aerosol can. Allows you to apply the product so it sticks to vertical surfaces.

CP

Post by CP » 02 Mar 2011, 17:03

That's s good idea! Would get into all the tiny cracks more easily than chucking DE at them as I usually have to do. :grin:
Happy in Hampshire!

DB08
Pullet
Pullet

Post by DB08 » 03 Mar 2011, 21:42

wireworm wrote:How about this:

http://www.pestcontroldirect.co.uk/acat ... _Can_.html

Diatomaceous earth in an aerosol can. Allows you to apply the product so it sticks to vertical surfaces.
Oh yippeee! :grin: :grin: Huge thanks! =D>

wireworm

Post by wireworm » 04 Mar 2011, 17:32

Glad to be of help. I've already got my can - just waiting for the buggers to appear so I can try it out. I'll let you know how I get on.

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Chris Kurzfeld » 05 Mar 2011, 10:04

Is that price for one can? If so, with 11 coops/houses, it is way too expensive for me :(
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!

wireworm

Post by wireworm » 05 Mar 2011, 10:36

I would imagine that one can goes a long way, but I will investigate further for you.

I heard of a commercial, organic, chicken farm that used diatomaceous earth applied as a water-based slurry. You have to keep the slurry in motion otherwise the powder quickly drops down to the bottom and you have to use a nozzle with a very large hole, but it seemed to be better than trying to apply a fine powder to a large area - and it sticks to vertical surfaces that way, when the water evaporates.