Definitive help for the spring - redmite

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Definitive help for the spring - redmite

Postby drfish » 29 Jul 2011, 10:25

Ant powder is a good alternative to diatom. Also, commercial bug sprays will help reduce numbers, but obviously make sure they are safe for poultry. Best time to do the killing is in the morning, when they are fat and lethargic from a nightly feast. They will get into every dark crevice possible so, so concentrate the killing there.

A little tip as well, washing up liquid breaks down their protective membrane and also blocks their breathing ventricles. It's not an all out effective killer, but it certainly helps. Mix a good dollop into a garden sprayer, and basically blast everywhere you think they may be. Alternate with diatom and ant powder everywhere, and you should see some results.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby Angel79 » 29 Jul 2011, 16:50

Thanks. We'll try and get some safe ant powder before we go, for the house sitters to use. I use washing up liquid solution for greenfly but hadn't thought to use it for the mites.

The chooks show no sign of being reluctant to go to bed so I guess we're managing to keep the mites at bay - it just creeps me out to see them and I dread them getting worse.

Thanks again.
Angel79

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Poultry Centre » 11 Aug 2011, 10:52

There are a few great products for red mite out there, first you need to make sure you have totally got rid if it with a product like Poultry Shield that will kill mites and lice on contact, total mite kill spray will also do the job. As mites do not like sunlight they live in the smallest cracks possible so the key is to get a really deep clean, they also like to stay on the bird so make sure you treat your bird as well. Take your coop apart and clean each panel separately, this is the only way to be sure you have got in all those little crevasses. You can use Diatom on your birds, the best way of doing this is to put some diatom in a plastic bag, you can then pop your chicken in (head poking out) and shake the bag and rub the chicken to make sure the Diatom has covered your chicken and got under the feathers. To prevent the mites and lice you can use Diatom, it is very effective. Alternatively you can use total mite kill spray, it's an aerosol and will stay active for up to 3 months, two applications should see you through to the winter. Also stay well away from straw and hay, the mites love it as its nice and dark inside and perfect for laying eggs, wood shavings are advised. Clean yourself and your clothes before you re bed as the mites will live on you and may well have jumped on you when you were cleaning.
I hope my advise has helped, lets hope the mites are minimal this season. We have everything you need at www.poultrycentre.co.uk and all our prices include FREE UK fast delivery.
Poultry Centre

Postby podstable » 02 Oct 2011, 11:15

GRRRRR______ I have just found my first 'herd' of the little red b*****s for the year :angryfire: :angryfire: --and its October -so keep up the anti mite treatments as this hot weather has clearly caused them to blossom---oh well, my day will be occupied ! Ros
podstable

Postby travis » 13 Nov 2011, 23:23

Really like diatom, as it contains no pesticides, so I don't mind using it often. Best way to keep them down I think.
travis

Postby Chameleon » 19 Apr 2013, 22:35

I had red mites in the main hen house last year (they come back once in a while). My solution is to paint a thin strip of varnish around the ends of each perch. I use the water soluble type, but as long as there is plenty of ventilation any would be fine - its only a small amount. I did this several nights in a row and it stopped them dead. Of course you must ensure all birds are roosted on the perch each night. As the mites crawled onto the perches to get at my ladies they got stuck in the varnish and after several nights of this you can break the egg cycle of the mites.

I've tried all sorts to combat this problem including diatom earth and nothing seems to work as well as varnish.
Chameleon

Postby Chris Kurzfeld » 22 Apr 2013, 09:48

Erm - I stopped using Diatom because unless you wear the proper safety mask it can be carcinogenic !
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!
Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 28 posts

Postby drfish » 22 Apr 2013, 11:57

Food grade DE isn't. It's only the oven-dried containing heavy load of crystaline silica version that produces carcinogens. That's usually the stuff used in filtration equipment. So probably no worse than sand in all due respects.

I only buy food grade diatomaceous earth.

E.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diatomaceous-Ea ... B0083H1B3W
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Postby drfish » 22 Apr 2013, 12:00

Chameleon wrote:I had red mites in the main hen house last year (they come back once in a while). My solution is to paint a thin strip of varnish around the ends of each perch. I use the water soluble type, but as long as there is plenty of ventilation any would be fine - its only a small amount. I did this several nights in a row and it stopped them dead. Of course you must ensure all birds are roosted on the perch each night. As the mites crawled onto the perches to get at my ladies they got stuck in the varnish and after several nights of this you can break the egg cycle of the mites.

I've tried all sorts to combat this problem including diatom earth and nothing seems to work as well as varnish.

And incidentally, Vaseline will do that job better, and more safely for the chooks.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

crazypianolady likes this post.
drfish

Postby ChickyMum » 22 Apr 2013, 21:08

I have had to deal with red mites for the first time this year - our summer here has been especially warm and dry with many areas declared a drought area so this has allowed the mites to explode.

I painted the inside of the chook house with a citronella oil/DE slurry in all the cracks, joins bascially every where allowing the house to air and dry for the day and then I used vaseline on the girls legs and also mixed DE with vaseline and smeared this all over the ends of the perches (where they met the side of the house), underneath the perch and the 2 sides only leaving the top clean (so the chooks didn't slip off :lol: )
This combination has stopped the mites as they get stuck in the vaseline and get repelled by the citronella oil

I have also been told that garlic in their water for several days once a month helps as mites ( and lice) don't like the taste of the tainted blood - not sure if it works but worth a try

Wormwood, tansy and orgeano plants around the coop are also beneficial for the chooks and repel insects
ChickyMum
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 16 posts

Postby Jessie » 22 Apr 2013, 21:34

Even before you said about them slipping off I had mental pictures of them going skating round the place! :lol: :smt046
Jessie

Postby drfish » 23 Apr 2013, 09:20

ChickyMum wrote:I have also been told that garlic in their water for several days once a month helps as mites ( and lice) don't like the taste of the tainted blood - not sure if it works but worth a try

Having done some research on natural remedies recently, it turns out that the majority of 'experts' in the field of natural medicines rebuke the theory of garlic preventing lice and mites as something of an old wives tail. While garlic does have it's benefits in terms of health, it does very little, if anything, to prevent bugs from biting animals. And in a lot of animals, garlic can potentially cause issues with blood as the chemical compound sulphone hydroxyl (also found in onions) can penetrate blood cells. It would probably require a large dose on a regular basis, but even so, worth considering.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Postby Chameleon » 23 Apr 2013, 09:30

Me too I just get food grade DE. I built my own style hut and the roof lifts off so I can get inside and see to clean. So dusting is also less of a problem. Although Hut Mark Three will have a few improvements on this one to help with the red mite situation. No felt ever again, as much of the frame work on the outside as I can manage and nest boxes with side access not top access (this means I can fix the roof to the nest boxes in place and do away with hinges on the top).

Thanks for the vaseline idea, I hadn't thought of that. Under the perches too - good idea. :) Actually the first thing I thought of was, looking in the hut and finding all the chooks hanging upside down from the perches - having slipped while still gripping them and gritting their teeth (cartoon style). :lol:

drfish likes this post.
Chameleon

Previous

Return to Pests and Predators