Definitive help for the spring - redmite

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Definitive help for the spring - redmite

Postby laffinfowl » 10 Apr 2011, 10:27

Not these they won,t,these are some sort of super breed of mite he has,everything he,s tried has,nt worked for him but most others have had a degree of success with them,so therefore the only conclusion that can be drawn is they are a super breed of mite or they have developed a resistance to almost every treatment known to man :-'''
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 197 posts

Postby CP » 10 Apr 2011, 11:13

It seems dannyson has tried everything to no avail.....he will just have to keep at it with the Poultry Shield & blast the b*****s with a flame thrower! :violent3: (I mean paint stripper, of course! :lol: )
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 166 posts

Postby drfish » 11 Apr 2011, 15:12

Sounds much the same as my original dose of Red Spider Mites (horticultural ones)

I bleached, Jeyes fluids, Mild acid, everything known to man to try and get rid, and they just came back to the same amount every second week. It was ridiculous. That's why I mentioned the neem as it was the only thing that has actually totally eradicated them, but still took a good 6 weeks or so to break the cycle and knacker up their life cycle.

Failing that, a friend of mine can get Napalm (army supplies officer :lol: )
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby dannyson » 03 Jun 2011, 23:24

So - been spraying for around 6 or more weeks with a mixture of Neem oil / poultry shield / fairy liquid - the whole inside of the hen house, including the inside of the roof which now has an oily slick about it (the mite are probably living on the outside of the roof under the felt.... I know, I know - but really don't want to go there...) Broken the back of the mite at the moment - still got them but not in such vast numbers. Hens also get sprayed daily with red mite concentrate (diluted).

Now going back to a layer of diatom 'dust' / ant powder on the floor of the coop as everything is so oily and 'orrible.

I don't think I will ever eradicate them - will just have to switch treatments as appropriate. ](*,)

Wouldn't it be great if 'they' could find and supply a nematode that parasites on them... such as they do for vine weevil and slugs..... :roll:
dannyson

Liked in: 1 post

Postby CP » 04 Jun 2011, 10:23

They are the pits.....
Apparently earwigs are partial to redmite dinners so perhaps you should try catching some in the garden & introduce them to the coop. Only problem is that the chickens might just eat them. #-o
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Postby craftycarrot » 07 Jun 2011, 22:24

Hmmm... we had a few earwigs in the coop feasting on red mites when we had them last year and they didnt son much as make a dent in the numbers!! Good luck guys ! I found one in the coop 2 weeks ago and blow torched all the crannies , sprayed poultry shield verywhere and put a layer of diatom on everything and the chooks and (touch wood) Ive not seen any since!! CC
craftycarrot

Postby sally stone » 12 Jun 2011, 21:04

Oh my goodness, what have I let myself in for, am I missing something, how do I look for these little red devils, will I have to set fire to my lovely hen house if i find some, are my girls at great risk and do they sneak up from nowhere. HELP
sally stone

Postby Cluckins » 21 Jun 2011, 10:46

Has anyone used Teak Oil to coat the coup? Don't have creosote.

Is it worth a shot?
Cluckins

Postby drfish » 21 Jun 2011, 12:08

Most teak oil is highly flammable and can self-ignite when rubbed with a cotton cloth, and has a flash point of about 40 c (i.e. could catch light on a hot sunny day). Do you fancy taking the chance with feathers rubbing it? if you get the non flammable stuff, fair enough, but why bother?

Just use creosote or creocote, it's much better for the job, and far cheaper than teak oil.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Loss of a chicken to red mite

Postby doc.black » 08 Jul 2011, 17:02

Sadly one of our lovely 4 girls died yesterday, and we can only blame red mite. She'd stopped laying a few weeks ago and looked listless and lethargic, plus her comb was pale. We had seen a few mites on her and on the other girls, and thought we'd got on top of the problem by covering them in powder, washing the coop out and covering that in powder too. Never really saw many mites themselves, so we thought we'd won. Obviously not, as Sage died yesterday :( Apparently, the mites feeding on the girls makes them anaemic.
Today I took the coop apart again, pressure-hosed it, poultry-shielded it (and myself) and left for the recommended hour to 'soak in'. I also discovered a large family of earwigs living in the nest boxes. When I went back to the coop, all the mite were on the outside and there were hundreds that I could see, so presumeably thousands that I couldn't. I poultry-shielded again, hosed it again, then used one of those mini fogger things in the nest box for good measure. After that, applied red mite powder to every surface I could get it on plus the bedding. Will attempt to powder the girlies later as well.
I wondered if anyone else used those fogger things, and if they're any good?
I guess the war on red mite will continue....
doc.black

Postby CP » 09 Jul 2011, 11:32

Sorry to hear you lost one of your girls. :cry:

Earwigs are redmite enemy so it's a good thing you found some in the coop! ;) Obviously though the redmite outnumbered the earwigs because once you have a large infestation they are the pits to eradicate! :angryfire:

Never used one of the foggers myself & have heard that they're not that effective in a chicken coop but use anything & everything at hand to evict the b*****s! A belt & braces view is best - 1 product on it's own doesn't seem to be good enough. ;)

A pressure washer will not kill them, only wash them out of the crevices they hide in. A useful tool is a blow torch to 'pop' the little devils & you know they will be dead then.

And they live a long time without food....someone I know still had them in a coop that hadn't been used for nearly a year! :shock:
Happy in Hampshire!

CP

Postby drfish » 10 Jul 2011, 11:13

Use a combination of poultry shield, Neem oil, and general purpose insecticide alternated every 3 days or so, to break the breeding cycle. Alternating them makes sure the mites don't get used to any one treatment, and also helps cover all angles.

Also wouldn't hurt to throw creosote in it before you start treating it.

If you want to take the natural approach, collect as many ladybirds, spiders and daddy long legs as possible, all of which will feast on red mites.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Postby Bhindi » 10 Jul 2011, 21:58

I have often wondered if the spiders eat them too. I have quite a large amount of spiders in the brick shed with my girls, and as Ive never been one to fear them, I've left them to it, so maybe they are keeping the blighters at bay for me. In 8 years of hen keeping I have never had red mite, I hope my luck doesn't change.
I 'still' don't eat things that had a face!
Bhindi
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby drfish » 11 Jul 2011, 14:10

Spiders do a good job, but most spiders rely on webs to catch their prey, which is not overly effective against mites. Airborne predators are a much better option, and ladybirds are known veracious eaters of all mites and bugs that they can fit in their mouths. They are surprisingly vicious killing machines in the bug world. If they have a good supply of food, they will stay put. You can even buy ladybirds and other predatory mite killers on the web if you want to take the natural approach.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Postby Angel79 » 29 Jul 2011, 08:56

We too are stuggling with red mite although only once have we found a clump - it's usually just a few wandering around.

Our hen house is fully lined (except the ceiling) with lino sealed with silicone but I suspect the mites have got into cracks in the nest boxes & perches. I regularly empty out the wood shavings, vacuum thoroughly and spray and wash down the entire surfaces, including window sills and doors with something I bought from our local vet (in France) called Méfisto. Then when dry, I dust with diatom before replacing the bedding. I put diatom in the dust bath areas although we haven't actually dusted the chooks themselves.

Last time I did this was two day ago. Yesterday I found mites crawling over the walls and the fascia of the nest boxes so sprayed again and today, there are still the little b*%§!+s in the bedding of the nest boxes where the cockerel and one of the hens (and her two chicks) sleep for some reason.

We are very new to chicken keeping but I do understand that mites develop immunity to products and we should alternate.
Anyone in France recommend a treatment readily available here?

We're off to the Uk soon so could also bring something back if recommended. I recall reading something about a smoke bomb; is this a good remedy?
Angel79

PreviousNext

Return to Pests and Predators