Ficam W & wasps

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

Ficam W & wasps

Postby Henwife » 24 Jul 2015, 09:27

Normally I leave wasps to their nests so long as it doesn't inconvenience me. However, they used a rabbit burrow in a bank over a part excavated wheelpit which we are working in, so they had to go. Several visits with aerosol wasp foam had no effect so I bunged up the rabbit hole with builders expanding foam. It took them a couple of days to dig their way out & make a new entry. As I no longer need some out-of-date Ficam W, I checked whether that would work and realised that a 5lt mix meant backpack sprayer with long nozzle. After 2 consecutive night forays I think they're all dead. Unfortunately I shall have to get professional assistance for the honey bees in the chimney - yes, have checked with the local beekeepers and there's no other way to deal with them alas, and wax and honey = fire hazard. Oh the joys of rural life.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

crazypianolady likes this post.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Re: Ficam W & wasps

Postby kated » 24 Jul 2015, 12:02

Two years ago I luckily spotted a newly arrived swarm investigating our chimney, so lit a fire (in 22 deg C temps) which I kept going all day using lawn mowings for smoke. Felt really bad about it but the bees were finding there way down the lining and out into the living room. I must have chivvied out at least 100.
kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 82 posts

Re: Ficam W & wasps

Postby drfish » 24 Jul 2015, 12:25

Thumbs up for Ficam-W.

I've actually bought some more despite having no poultry any more. Purely for ant extermination (which is a big issue where I live), and any other nasties that may come along. It also served as a good flea killer (and bed bugs) when we had a bit of an infestation with the Chihuahua (didn't spray on the dog, obviously, just blitzed the house with it). Although, that's since also turned out to be a food allergy that was causing his excessive scratching.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Return to Pests and Predators