Electric fencing

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

Electric fencing

Postby Blondeduke » 05 Jul 2015, 09:40

Lost hen to fox early afternoon just missed commotion. I have looked at huge cost electric fencing netting £80 50 metres v horse tape 200metres £28 roll etc Which if it's the perfect solution but I am doubtful?
Am reading hedgehogs can get caught in bottom ( we do have) plus chickens do get out as their feathers act as insulators, am guessing underneath?
So am toying with do I outlay for the mesh net electric fencing? Please is this robust? Seems to come attached to posts? What's the best type?
OR
I have a 12v livery man energiser loads horse electric tape make a complete barrier surrounding my hen house wrapping the tape around plastic fence posts which seem more substantial than the netting ones? Thus leaving about 4 inches off the ground but will my chickens get through. I need something that I can move the girls to different areas, they are in a closed run about 3 metres but usually free range outside during day time.

OR loads lightweight puppy pen panels 60cm high( cheap moveable secured metal pins in soil) with horse fence tape up to 1 metre high outside of that.

Any tips appreciated I have spent weekend trying to look at best moveable option as I know the fox is around due to droppings and up til now only saw it early hours morning. Thank you.
Blondeduke

Liked in: 2 posts

Re: Electric fencing

Postby subruss » 06 Jul 2015, 09:59

I would and have gone with the electric fencing it is tough, I have had mine for seven year and its still in good condition, very easy to move around and with it being flexible it is easy to fence around obstructions etc and will keep most hens in, some flighty birds may fly over now and again but clipping them soon sorts that out and it does deter foxes 90% of the time but unless you have a fixed Fort Knox type structure nothing is perfect. the other 10% of the time its our fault anyway ie leaving gates/doors open, leaving piles of stuff next to the fence to be used as a fox bridge, forgetting to turn the fence on etc. :thumbright:
subruss

Liked in: 354 posts

Postby phoebe » 06 Jul 2015, 10:08

The puppy panels are too low to keep the chicken in.

I have the poultry netting (1.1 metres high) and anchor the corners with wooden fencing posts to keep it taut. The chickens do not get under the fence because it touches the ground. (There is a non electrified wire on the ground. Vegetation needs to be kept short so that the voltage is kept high. My chicken do not get out and I have had no trouble with foxes getting in. I don't shut my chicken in at night and have never lost a chicken to a fox.

If you use the tape you will need to build a chicken wire/weld mesh run for your chicken so that they can not get out and then surround it with a three strand electric fence. The first strand being about 30cms off the ground.

Hope this is of help.
phoebe
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby Blondeduke » 06 Jul 2015, 22:44

Thank you for the helpful replies. I am looking forward to giving the pesky fox a shock. I think the electric tape ( I have a lot of it) run outside a securish..fencing ...at close gaps should shock the fox well. My energiser is 12v and was used to keep horses in I know it works well.
Plus I may bash a few round posts (good idea) if I go for the electric netting. The hen was my healthiest egg laying bluebell....so much for taking the weaker animal...opportunist fox. Cheers
Blondeduke

Postby Blondeduke » 28 Jul 2015, 11:26

Ok after posting my chickens just walked through the horse tape 1" inch electric fence on a 12 V battery. I even had it at 4 inch gaps but it was useless.So I purchased some Horizon double spiked 50m netting. Very pleased but as my garden is hilly I have made good use oof my old plastic horse posts( double spiked). I would imagine single spiked is just false economy plus the horse plastic posts are more substantial to add extra support and keep the net just off ground.( I may do a few wood posts when we get snow).But so far in all the windy rainy weather I am pleased with the electric netting my poor spaniel got a bit near to the netting and won't be going near it again! I do believe when hedgehogs get stuck it's not nice but the bottom is not wired. On top of this I decided to re home battery hens 18 months old and booked 3 but came back 4. Always meant to do this and highly recommend. Surprised I get 3 eggs a day. They look a bit pasty but otherwise look surprisingly very healthy. Thanks v much for help.

2 people like this post.
Blondeduke

Postby CP » 29 Jul 2015, 01:53

Glad you got it sorted & good luck with the new hens. ;)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 167 posts

Return to Pests and Predators