Creosote

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

Creosote

Postby PixieDust » 07 Sep 2014, 16:58

OK after MUCH research and deliberation we have decided to creosote the inside of the coop to deter red mite. We will not coat the nest box only the inside of the coop and leave it to dry for a few weeks. We have a date for collecting some birds - approx 16th November. We did want to get them in October but the poultry guy is away. OH can use creosote as part of his job on the farm so it would be daft not to. I know some people don't like the idea, but I must admit I am very unsure of Ficam W. Just a personal opinion.

I want to know if I should also put DE/ant powder around the inside of the coop, nest box and perch ends as well as creosoting? I plan a dust bath with part sand, part soil and part DE/Louse powder mix. Do I need to dismantle the house? We plan a twice yearly creosote.

Just to keep you up to speed; the run is built with weld mesh dug down 6" and a mesh skirt of 12". It has a roof and has been so well built by Himself. Our neighbours think it's fab. He is even making me a present for the run, he says. I guess all will be revealed when the chooks arrive!
One wonderful bloke, one Cocker Spaniel. Girls arrived 15/11/14 Columbine - Winter, (Winnie), Bluebell - Pixie, Light Sussex, - Lillith, (Lily).
Black Copper Maran - Autumn, (Pob) RIP 15/12/14
PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 48 posts

Re: Creosote

Postby farmer Warren » 07 Sep 2014, 21:34

i always creosote everything nest box and all several times before putting chickens in and never had any adverse effects

PixieDust likes this post.
farmer Warren
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby PixieDust » 08 Sep 2014, 08:37

Yes I have read many people feel it is the best if one can get hold of it.

Also, because the litter tray on my coop is wooden, I am thinking about varnishing it on the inside to stop it getting totally ruined by poop. Has anyone had experience or have and words of wisdom about this?
One wonderful bloke, one Cocker Spaniel. Girls arrived 15/11/14 Columbine - Winter, (Winnie), Bluebell - Pixie, Light Sussex, - Lillith, (Lily).
PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Postby drfish » 08 Sep 2014, 09:46

The poop and pee will burn through most varnish. Better off treating it with creosote and then putting newspaper under your litter choice. That way it stops it contacting directly with the wood and will be easier to get off.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby Miss Chooks » 08 Sep 2014, 11:31

I have used creosote & oil mixed inside coop & nesting boxes, I have also liberally spread round DE and ant powder with no affects to the chooks. Obviously this was done approx 4/5 weeks before they arrived.

Miss Chooks
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 34 posts

Postby PixieDust » 08 Sep 2014, 13:39

OK thanks.

I'll hold off on the varnish then and just creosote.

Yes I have heard mixing it 50/50 with old oil or paraffin is a good idea. :thumbright:
PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Postby sunnys » 08 Sep 2014, 16:38

you need to treat the nest boxes- its a prime area for redmite to congregate. personally if i had access to real creosote I would use it. the smell does not last forever and with a good handfull of straw in nest boxes won't taint eggs. thats what I've done in past when got hold of some of the real stuff and it worked well
sunnys
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 42 posts

Return to Pests and Predators