Mites

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

Mites

Postby john2708 » 20 Jul 2014, 20:52

Ok I havnt been on for awhile but I have a problem and need to find the best way to deal with it ok here goes I got mites I have red mites in my chicken shed I also have little white/ yellow ones and there's loads of em yesterday I went in the shed as it's a walk in one and came out covered in these little white/ yellow mites like the ones you Find on the birds I had to shower to get them all off so what's the best way in exterminating these little buggers

Thanks john
john2708
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 21 posts

Re: Mites

Postby CP » 21 Jul 2014, 02:58

Dust your birds with mite powder or Diatom, sprinkle ant powder in the nest boxes & dust bath if you have one too, so they treat themselves. You could use Harkamectin instead, or Frontline. ;)

For the redmite, the most effective is to spray the coop with FicamW. Make sure you read the instructions carefully & use protective clothing, etc. as it's toxic stuff but IMO, better than all the rest of the redmite treatments put together! ;)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 171 posts

Postby john2708 » 03 Aug 2014, 17:18

I seem to be on top of it I cleaned the coop out jet washed it put the diatom every were and havnt seen a mite since found plenty of dead ones

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk
john2708
Chick
Chick

Postby subruss » 04 Aug 2014, 06:05

They aint gone yet, keep your eyes open and keep treating birds and shed, unless you using ficam w in which case one more spray in a week and it will all be over for this year :thumbright:
subruss

Liked in: 354 posts

Postby john2708 » 04 Aug 2014, 07:35

I hate them I'll keep the treatment up the shed looks clear checked the birds and the still have some so it is my mission to destroy them all I hate mites/lice

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
john2708
Chick
Chick

Postby crazypianolady » 04 Aug 2014, 07:59

An observation here - pressure spraying doesn't kill red mite, it just spreads them far and wide. ;)

CP likes this post.
crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 142 posts

Postby CP » 04 Aug 2014, 11:11

You may drown a few but all the water does is forcefully move them from their hiding places. You might be better using a steam cleaner because the heat from the boiling water would kill more of them, though they too, push them out with force of the steam. I think chemicals, even if you're loathe to use them, are the most potent way of eliminating redmite. I hate them too, with a passion! :angryfire:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

crazypianolady likes this post.
CP

Liked in: 171 posts

Return to Pests and Predators