Ficam w

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

Ficam w

Postby PixieDust » 20 Jul 2014, 10:35

Ok lots of questions but please indulge me.

If we spray the coop with it before we get the chooks, how long will it repel Red mite and other nasties for?

Will we still need to DE, mite and lice powder the coop weekly etc ?

I gather we will still need to dust the birds?

How dangerous is Ficam w?

Will it harm the hens?

Do we need to creocote the coop?

Sorry at ask but although I do not want to use heavy chemicals I do not want a huge red mite out break. It's one of the things which scares me about keeping chickens.
One wonderful bloke, one Cocker Spaniel. Girls arrived 15/11/14 Columbine - Winter, (Winnie), Bluebell - Pixie, Light Sussex, - Lillith, (Lily).
Black Copper Maran - Autumn, (Pob) RIP 15/12/14
PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 48 posts

Re: Ficam w

Postby kated » 20 Jul 2014, 14:05

1) I found it kept mites etc away for at least 3 months maybe more.
2)No.
3)Shouldn't need to, but add to dust bath.
4)It's strong stuff so use a mask and gloves and dispose of any leftovers extremely carefully. (I put mine in my bonfire barrel)
5) Not if it's allowed to dry out before they go in.
6) On the outside to keep it from rotting otherwise no - but I have issues as to the effectiveness of creosote versus mites anyway.

PixieDust likes this post.
kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 80 posts

Postby PixieDust » 20 Jul 2014, 14:22

Thanks kated. I am really struggling with using it as I am not fond of chemicals. But I would hate to get mite in the house and on the dog etc.

So should it be sprayed every few months in the summer?
One wonderful bloke, one Cocker Spaniel. Girls arrived 15/11/14 Columbine - Winter, (Winnie), Bluebell - Pixie, Light Sussex, - Lillith, (Lily).
PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Postby MrsMopp » 20 Jul 2014, 15:43

Not wishing to put a dampener on things, just be aware that Ficam W is highly toxic to bees :( The commonsense advice is not to spray when there is a breeze as it will drift and to avoid spraying where residue might fall on plants/weeds that bees may visit.

2 people like this post.
MrsMopp
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 33 posts

Postby PixieDust » 20 Jul 2014, 16:10

Yes this is one of the issues I have. I am not saying I will use it I am just trying to weigh up all the odds. What do you use Mrs Mopp?
PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Postby CP » 20 Jul 2014, 16:22

We only spray Ficam W yearly, & keep on top of any little outbreaks only when we see them, using Indorex spray &/or DE/ant powder. ;)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

CP

Liked in: 166 posts

Postby MrsMopp » 20 Jul 2014, 21:14

I use the strongest ant killer I can find (the active ingredient you want is permethrin and different brands have different strengths) and mix it in with the nest material and puff it into all nooks and crannies when I clean the coops. This has its own problems as permethrin is highly toxic to cats, so again take precautions.

When I clean out a coop I usually use poultry shield, but occasionally use Virkon S instead (which is a disinfectant not a mite deterrent) to ring the changes and help give a bit of protection against bacteria etc, particularly if a coop is being used for youngstock.

If I had a bad outbreak of redmite and my usual routines weren't dealing with it (in many years so far I have managed to handle any outbreaks by upping the frequency and standard of my cleaning regime to break the lifecycle of the pest) and I was getting downhearted, I would probably try Ficam W as I have read such good things about it. But I would be reluctant. I am a beekeeper with hives at home (and a cat keeper) :grin:

MrsMopp
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 33 posts

Postby Lindsay » 21 Jul 2014, 06:29

MrsMopp wrote:Not wishing to put a dampener on things, just be aware that Ficam W is highly toxic to bees :( The commonsense advice is not to spray when there is a breeze as it will drift and to avoid spraying where residue might fall on plants/weeds that bees may visit.

Thank you for that information - I hadn't realised there could be a problem (though common sense should have told me).
Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 85 posts

Postby drfish » 21 Jul 2014, 09:47

Ficam is an insecticide at the end of the day, it isn't fussy about which insects it will kill. Spiders, ants (very effective against them), bees, wasps, et al. With a little common sense you can easily avoid overspraying it where other insects may become affected by it. Those pump garden sprayers are really good to apply it, as you can control exactly where it's going without worrying about it drifting in the wind.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

3 people like this post.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby soufle » 21 Jul 2014, 22:41

Ive been to the vet's today and picked up a bottle of Elector from Elanco , its was pricey £21 to make 7 litres of spray which is enough to treat 250m2 I'm told. Its effect are supposed to last 12 weeks. We'll see.
soufle
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 70 posts

Postby subruss » 22 Jul 2014, 09:49

soufle wrote:Ive been to the vet's today and picked up a bottle of Elector from Elanco , its was pricey £21 to make 7 litres of spray which is enough to treat 250m2 I'm told. Its effect are supposed to last 12 weeks. We'll see.

Just read the bumf on this stuff would be interesting to hear about your results using this product.

Ficm w: Pro,s: Between £10 to £12 pounds for 5 ltr and does work for a long time, Con,s Strong chemical care for self and environment needed :(

elector: Pro,s: A safer product to use and 12 week Active period ?. Con,s: Cost and the 12 week active period(linked to cost), Does it work awaiting results from soufflé and any other users out there :thumbright:

Hope this stuff works it would be nice to have a choice for a change, these 2 products could cover all views of poultry keepers.
subruss

Liked in: 354 posts

Postby soufle » 22 Jul 2014, 10:16

As soon as I can tell ,I'll report back.
] Small logistics problem , I keep a sprayer for food use.i use organic pest control in it.I'm not sure if I use the Elector wether I will be able to use it for food use again ?? My other sprayer is confined to weed killer so I dont want to use that. I may contact the makers of Elector as I dont want the expense of buying another sprayer. WHY is life never simple. ](*,)
soufle
Chick
Chick

Postby soufle » 22 Jul 2014, 11:12

ok, so Ive been in touch with Elanco to ask about the sprayer problem. They have been very helpful and said that the active ingredient 'Spinosad' is licenced in the US for use on food grain in store(presumably to keep insect levels down) and therefore on balance provide I wash the sprayer well afterwards they think that it should be no problem to use the sprayer again for food/vegetable use purposes considering the tiny amount which may be residual in the sprayer parts (and plastic ) .
Off to do battle then !

soufle
Chick
Chick

Postby PixieDust » 23 Jul 2014, 00:00

I *hope* this is a viable alternative to Ficam - to be honest I HATE Bayer. Don't get me started on Advocate for Lungworm in Dogs and Bayer being the only company to talk about it. Also, it attacks via the nervous system and is highly toxic to bees. We have mason bees and a colony of bees in the old pear tree near the run, so I would rather not use anything Bayer if possible. I am also wary of new products which may turn out to be more lethal in the long run. I am still erring to DE and Net tex concentrate and ant powder.

Also, I don't want the hens to suffer.

Though if we can find something which will keep the birds pretty much free of mite and lice then I would rather use a house spray rather than a spot on treatment which goes into the blood stream and our eggs [-X
PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Postby soufle » 23 Jul 2014, 07:33

Pixiedust, you echo all my misgivings . I think that natural controls can work but you have to be regular and consistant.Its hard work Ive got rid of (or reduced ) the mites twice this year,Ive lost two birds and another was very ill .I was talking to a visiting farrier who has hens and is 'down wind' from a huge poultry set up and he has a perennial problem. He said the Elector killed the mites dead, but he was talking about loads of them crawling up his arms EUCH !

In your preventative cupboard, keep a bottle of Battles poultry drink ,its main constituent is iron ,although some have dismissed it as 'sugared water' Ive seen it bring back an anaemic chicken from the brink twice now. Its cheap and I tend to put it in the water about once a week or so.

soufle
Chick
Chick

Next

Return to Pests and Predators