Blasted Crows!

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

Blasted Crows!

Postby kajlbw » 12 Jul 2014, 11:57

Hi All,

Over the last few days I've noticed the chicken's food going down rather rapidly, then caught the culprit ... one or two crows having a nibble. Anyway, word spread and there were more and more each day, so, I kept the food in the coop which worked for a few days but then I noticed 2 crows come out of the coop yesterday (luckily they didn't see the eggs). This morning my son opened them up and put their food outside; Ive just been down and there must have been about 15 crows inside the electric fenced area and about another 20 outside. The poor chickens were huddled together under the coop :(

Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep them away. My husband has a gun and would happily go and disperse the crowd but we're going away for a few weeks soon and leaving them in someone else's care, so need to try a longer lasting solution.

Many thanks
kajlbw
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Blasted Crows!

Postby kated » 12 Jul 2014, 14:03

Is it impossible to net the pen? Ordinary plastic garden netting is sufficient to keep them away. If not, a temporary measure would be to hang up a dead crow, failing that as many cds as you can gather hung along strings to turn and blow in the wind. This won't work for long as corvidae are the brightest in the bird world after parrots.
kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 82 posts

Postby brooksidepoultry » 19 Jul 2014, 23:56

I'd suggest shooting a few of the buggers in the hope that the others get the message - it normally gets rid of them with us for a while afterwards x
A country lass who loves it all x.
brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 33 posts

Postby organic chick » 20 Jul 2014, 08:44

Our walk in run is covered over the top with netting which keeps them out. We get so many crows and things here it is vital to keep them out. We also use treadle feeders so the hens themselves do not scatter feed everywhere.
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 124 posts

Return to Pests and Predators