fox problem and barking dog!

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

fox problem and barking dog!

Postby hjanec » 11 Jul 2014, 10:05

Hi, I hope you will forgive me as this isn't technically a poultry question as our chickens and ducks are in fox proof runs. But we still have a fox problem! A fox family visits our garden on a nightly basis in order for mother fox to do things mother foxes do while her children play in an excited noisy way!! This disturbs the dog who feels it is her duty to either guard or join in the play (not sure which). This in turn means that the human family and close neighbours are getting very disturbed nights. (Chickens seem unaffected!)

I have read that devises with red flashing lights can deter foxes?? If anyone has any suggestions or solutions to the problem we would all be very grateful. By the way we have tried moving the dog to a central area in the house but she can still hear/smell the foxes.
hjanec
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Re: fox problem and barking dog!

Postby ladyplumber » 11 Jul 2014, 10:46

1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington
ladyplumber

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby drfish » 11 Jul 2014, 10:54

Buy a wolf :lol:

Seriously though, the problem you'll have in trying to deter dogs, is not driving your own dog mental in the process. Foxes are very clever animals, so the chances are, all these fangle dangled ultrasonic devices, flashy things and water jets are probably all going to work in the short term, until such a time as the fox figures out they're no real harm.

A better suggestion might be look at how the foxes are getting in, and prevent that, rather than waste time and money on these so called deterrents which in the long run probably won't work.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby Henwife » 11 Jul 2014, 17:10

I don't know what sort of dog you've got, but I'd let it out and it will probably sort out trespassing foxes once and for all. Most dogs loathe foxes and most foxes are utter cowards.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby hjanec » 11 Jul 2014, 19:38

Thanks for suggestions so far, actually I had thought about letting her out but I was wary of creating more noise at 2am in the morning, but maybe it will come to that in the end. I'm sure neighbours would forgive a few minutes of demented barking in the early hours. Maybe we could pretend it was the dog next door! :) Dog is a 9month old Parsons Jack Russell.
hjanec
Chick
Chick

Postby Henwife » 11 Jul 2014, 19:44

A jack russell sounds ideal. No wonder she's going demented, knowing there's something in HER garden that should be seen off PDQ.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Postby farmer Warren » 11 Jul 2014, 21:17

id release the hound although 9 nmonths old might be a bit young if the fox stood its ground
farmer Warren
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby subruss » 12 Jul 2014, 17:20

Technically that would be hunting with dogs, so don't let your dog out to chase the fox, accidentally leave the door open, :lol:. the fox will only make a stand if cornered and if your terrier is true to breed it will be the first and last time .
subruss

Liked in: 354 posts

Postby Henwife » 12 Jul 2014, 18:03

You need two dogs to be hunting. One of mine is a fat lazy slob so trots slowly after her sister rather than full pelt and rarely goes the distance.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Postby subruss » 13 Jul 2014, 03:28

Henwife wrote:You need two dogs to be hunting. One of mine is a fat lazy slob so trots slowly after her sister rather than full pelt and rarely goes the distance.

Hunting act: Under the Act a reference to a person hunting a wild mammal with a dog includes, in particular, any case where:

- A person engages or participates in the pursuit of a wild mammal and one or more dogs are employed in that pursuit(whether or not by him and whether or not under his control or direction).

I think you are referring to flushing out which is allowed with up to 2 dogs, A confusing act at best :? :)
subruss

Liked in: 354 posts

Postby Henwife » 13 Jul 2014, 07:46

Yes, you're right. Typical parliamentary mish-mash inflicted on rural areas by urbanites. As I get older, memory gets more selective.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Postby hjanec » 13 Jul 2014, 19:25

Thank you all for your interest. We had a good night last night..... grandsons camping in the garden. I wonder if I can borrow them for the summer holidays :). I don't think a camping dog who may escape from a tent counts as fox hunting does it? :grin: :wave:
hjanec
Chick
Chick

Postby drfish » 14 Jul 2014, 09:52

I often wonder if the reason I get no fox interest is due to my Staffie tagging one (accidentally, of course ;) ) a year or two back. As it's probably the same family, they've maybe had the message of avoiding our garden passed down to them. They'll go all over the neighbours either side though, but never ours, even with 3 pens of poultry.

Cats also to a lesser extent will scare the shite out of a fox. And I have two prolific hunting cats who spend most of their time doing what cats do outside.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Postby kated » 14 Jul 2014, 15:10

Drfish there are many incidents of foxes killing cats, so don't be too complacent.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -cats.html
kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 81 posts

Postby drfish » 14 Jul 2014, 16:30

Oh yeah, not disputing that a fox cant kill a cat, but a streetwise cat will let a fox know not to bother trying it. Incidents of foxes taking cats are usually where the cat is cornered and unable to defend itself. But most cats wouldn't get in that position.

To flip side that :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iAF7tX-slM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxbFq_NwsVY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9D-Ydz0jNw

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Next

Return to Pests and Predators