Fox & Crows

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

Fox & Crows

Postby Henwife » 26 Jun 2014, 19:59

Yesterday I lost one of my three cocks to a fox. When the guinea fowl and bantams started yelling, it was too late. I was at the bottom of a hole, and by the time I'd clambered out & got to the top of the garden, the dogs had already gone off in pursuit.
Today I heard he crows yellng their warning from the top of the garden, went to investigate, and sure enough, Fox on his way down to see if her could pick off another bird. Bantams and Guinea Fowl were elsewhere in the garden & dogs out for a walk, so crows aren't all bad. I've referred before to them 'shouting' a fox through the forest, and they really do.
We've got a plague of rabbits that the fox is more than welcome to take.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

2 people like this post.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Re: Fox & Crows

Postby subruss » 27 Jun 2014, 09:35

Well said :) I have mentioned before its all about balance crows also eat millions of bugs and grubs that damage crops there are negatives they do occasionally eat your eggs and steal unprotected chicks and do damage some crops. By all means shoot or trap problem animals but the wholesale slaughter of crows just because they are crows is wrong.
other examples of where we unbalance things are, Truly wild and weary foxes (Rabbit control and occasional problem) urban foxes fear of humans gone( big problem), A few cats ( nice pet and good for pest control) 1000s of cats (big problem) I could go on but I have probably upset the terminally offended already :lol:

3 people like this post.
subruss

Liked in: 354 posts

Postby Lindsay » 02 Jul 2014, 10:14

Unfortunately, crows do far more damage to young crops than "the millions of bugs and grubs they eat". Balance might have been the appropriate word thousands of years ago, but not since humans began farming. For the first time ever, I have crows visiting my hen pens in the evenings - there will be a shotgun-wielding husband or son waiting for them next time.

nickyc likes this post.
Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 85 posts

Postby nickyc » 02 Jul 2014, 10:34

The only good crow is a dead crow. They nick the eggs, they'll eat the chicks if they're not protected and they're a downright pest. They've got no redeeming features in my book!!
nickyc
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 16 posts

Postby drfish » 02 Jul 2014, 14:18

The film was good though.

R.I.P. Brandon Lee
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

3 people like this post.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby subruss » 03 Jul 2014, 09:52

nickyc wrote:The only good crow is a dead crow. They nick the eggs, they'll eat the chicks if they're not protected and they're a downright pest. They've got no redeeming features in my book!!

That's a sad view to have, I am willing to shoot problem crows and foxes and trap other pests but to exterminate a species because of our mistakes is just :(. Passing the blame for our cockups on to others seems to be a human trait.

Lindsay wrote:Unfortunately, crows do far more damage to young crops than "the millions of bugs and grubs they eat". Balance might have been the appropriate word thousands of years ago, but not since humans began farming. For the first time ever, I have crows visiting my hen pens in the evenings - there will be a shotgun-wielding husband or son waiting for them next time.

I did say it was about balance and if we can not maintain at least some of that balance we will find ourselves in a cul-de-sac with no other option and going nowhere :)
subruss

Postby nickyc » 03 Jul 2014, 11:49

Who said the species needs to be exterminated? I certainly didn't. Their numbers are way out of control and they need to be culled on a massive scale. I'll be first in line to join the cullers...
nickyc
Chick
Chick

Postby subruss » 03 Jul 2014, 20:40

and I will join you no problem with culling at all, but the statement the only good crow is a dead crow makes it clear you would be happy if they were all dead :) maybe a bit of hyperbole on your part :)
subruss

Postby Henwife » 03 Jul 2014, 21:53

Crow pie anyone?
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

2 people like this post.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby nickyc » 04 Jul 2014, 07:23

No Subruss, not hyperbole at all. A factual statement which I believe to be true. I detest crows. I like to see dead ones. End of.

farmer Warren likes this post.
nickyc
Chick
Chick

Postby subruss » 04 Jul 2014, 09:10

Henwife wrote:Crow pie anyone?

I have cookbook with a recipe for crow pie in it and some other birds like sparrows the first instruction is First catch your sparrows that would go down well in todays environment :lol:
subruss

Postby subruss » 04 Jul 2014, 09:14

nickyc wrote:No Subruss, not hyperbole at all. A factual statement which I believe to be true. I detest crows. I like to see dead ones. End of.

A closed mind what a shame, end off
subruss

Postby nickyc » 04 Jul 2014, 10:41

Subruss, it's 'of', not 'off'. If you're going to try taking the high ground, make sure you get your grammar and spelling correct in the process.
nickyc
Chick
Chick

Postby Hen-Gen » 04 Jul 2014, 15:36

Erm. I know who I'd rather go for a beer with!
Whoops. I know whom I'd rather join for a beer! :grin:
If you have nothing
Give it away

2 people like this post.
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby soufle » 04 Jul 2014, 21:42

We've lots of crows, jackdaws and rooks and sea gulls and b***dy magpies and wood pigeons. Ive not known the crows to be much of a problem but i can make a pretty good guess that it was a crow which dropped a golf ball through the roof light in my big shed. They collect golf balls on the ex pitch and putt next door, they even dip them in the water troughs to see if they can soften them up .
soufle
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 70 posts

Next

Return to Pests and Predators