Fox & Crows

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Fox & Crows

Postby laffinfowl » 06 Jul 2014, 23:19

Henwife wrote:Yesterday I lost one of my three cocks to a fox. When the guinea fowl and bantams started yelling, it was too late. I was at the bottom of a hole, and by the time I'd clambered out & got to the top of the garden, the dogs had already gone off in pursuit.
Today I heard he crows yellng their warning from the top of the garden, went to investigate, and sure enough, Fox on his way down to see if her could pick off another bird. Bantams and Guinea Fowl were elsewhere in the garden & dogs out for a walk, so crows aren't all bad. I've referred before to them 'shouting' a fox through the forest, and they really do.
We've got a plague of rabbits that the fox is more than welcome to take.

Henwife i was over your neck of the woods the other night delivering some equines,saw plenty of foxes and cubs in the area,the only control i noticed were the ones that were hit crossing the motorways :-k

I do find it odd Subruss that someone(not you by the way) who is'nt willing to cull their birds when they are so obviously ill they are'nt going to recover is willing to join a cull of birds that are healthy and are are doing as nature intended,taking advantage of unprotected chicks and stealing eggs from coops that are easy pickings..........as they say "theres nowt queerer than folk" or should i say "there is nothing as strange as people" :-'''

Hen-Gen likes this post.
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 197 posts

Postby nickyc » 07 Jul 2014, 07:13

What a shame so many people on here are more exercised about an interest in correct grammar and spelling than the issue at hand.

Crow numbers are way out of control. Other than being shot by people, there is nothing to control their numbers and their numbers really do need to be controlled. They are an absolute plague and not just for poultry keepers. You ask your nearest farmer what they think of crows. Apart from the damage they do to poultry and crops, they will attack new born lambs - it is quite common for them to peck the lambs' eyes out, given half a chance.

Laffinfowl - you are, as usual, talking out of your rear. Would you like to show in this post where I have made any mention of my chicks being taken by crows? Unlike some on here, I keep my chicks in a covered run, with their mother until they are 16 weeks. By doing this, I keep them safe from crows and the likes and also, it gives their immune systems time to properly develop. As for your silly, facile comment about culling ill birds, again, you're talking your usual ill-informed rubbish. Oh, and since hanging up crow carcasses, not one egg has been stolen.

As the expression goes; À chacun son goût. Those of you who wish to continue worshipping at the altar of the crow, good luck. Your idolatry of this pest will surely be rewarded by dead chicks and stolen eggs.
nickyc
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 16 posts

Postby Henwife » 07 Jul 2014, 08:02

I wish I'd never started this. The point I was making I was that there are good points about crows. This forum is one of the very few that allows everybody to put their point of view without the threads degenerating into infantile sniping.
I have problems with an increasing rabbit population - so fearless that even my lazy labradors can catch, kill & eat the fluffies on the lawn. Buzzards are a worry with bantam growers, wild boar plough up the garden (very occasionally) deer eat the apples & pears off the trees, and various idiot wild stock leap on to my excavation covers and fall into the Heffalump traps (& tear the covers). Lycra Louts shouting their way past are far more offensive.
Three of my bantam hens decided to sleep out the other night and I couldn't find them. The fox had two of them - my last Wernlas hen and the only completely unrelated hen. Down to 2 cocks, 4 hens and 8 pullet growers - and one of the hens has gone broody.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby ladyplumber » 07 Jul 2014, 08:18

Unfortunately, this thread is now becoming abusive.

We all have our own opinions on any pest or predator and I and my fellow moderators wouldn't have it any other way ...... until personal opinions and preferred methods of control are forced on others in this way. We solve our pest problems in the best way we know how, to suit our various properties, lifestyle and beliefs ......... end of.

This thread will be locked if this "tone" continues.
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

2 people like this post.
ladyplumber

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby organic chick » 07 Jul 2014, 08:46

The only observation I can make is this. Very near to here we have one of the most well known and largest murmurations of Starlings in the village of Stoney middleton. Amazing to see, darkens the sky and even these ears can hear the magnificent sound of their wings.

Nearer to home in the the past 3 weeks we have also noticed massive numbers (although NOT I hasten to add the many thousands refered to above) of Crows massing in the trees both mid morning, mid afternoon and around tea time. Their numbers have never been like this before and probably amount to a couple of hundred. Duck behavior seems to have changed on the river and those who still have tiny young (most are getting independent now) seem to be developing a nursery approach and working together as mothers in an effort to protect their young. Not something I have seen before. I have seen several chicks taken by both Crows and Magpies and one by our resident pike.

When you live in close proximity to nature like most of us, I think it becomes apparent that there are good and bad years for most things . Yes we have more Crows and Magpies this year, but we also have a huge increases in Thrushes and Blackbirds. We have fewer Robins Red Kites and Woodpeckers. Not sure how many owls fledged so cannot comment on that one but we have seen and heard very few. Same on the land - never had so many strawberries before.

Every dog has its day as they say .............
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser

2 people like this post.
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 124 posts

Postby ladyplumber » 07 Jul 2014, 08:57

" murmurations" .......... love that word ! :grin:
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington
ladyplumber

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby Hen-Gen » 07 Jul 2014, 09:47

ladyplumber wrote:" murmurations" .......... love that word ! :grin:

Me too. A parliament of rooks and a murder of crows. Gotta laugh, huh!

My favourite, though, is a deceit of lapwings. What's a lapwing ever done to deserve this? Maybe their habit of trailing a fake broken wing to lead you away from their young.
If you have nothing
Give it away

ladyplumber likes this post.
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby Hen-Gen » 07 Jul 2014, 11:47

laffinfowl wrote:..........as they say "theres nowt queerer than folk" or should i say "there is nothing as strange as people" :-'''

Who are you calling strange, straight boy? :grin: :grin: :grin:
If you have nothing
Give it away
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Postby drfish » 09 Jul 2014, 10:43

Well that was all exciting. I go away for a few days and it decends into chaos :shock: :mrgreen:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby laffinfowl » 09 Jul 2014, 11:54

Hen-Gen wrote:
laffinfowl wrote:..........as they say "theres nowt queerer than folk" or should i say "there is nothing as strange as people" :-'''

Who are you calling strange, straight boy? :grin: :grin: :grin:

:lol: No need to get your nose Bent out of shape now.
Looks like i,ve been ordered to wind my neck in(again),the truth always hurts but i,ll say no more ;)
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Postby Hen-Gen » 09 Jul 2014, 14:47

Nay Lad. The truth shall set you free. Can't remember who said that but it's always struck me as being wise.
If you have nothing
Give it away
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Postby laffinfowl » 09 Jul 2014, 17:51

Hen-Gen wrote:Nay Lad. The truth shall set you free. Can't remember who said that but it's always struck me as being wise.

Yeah could'nt agree more :thumbright:
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Postby subruss » 10 Jul 2014, 09:45

but sometimes the truth could put you in prison :lol:
subruss

Liked in: 354 posts

Postby organic chick » 14 Jul 2014, 10:07

..... And then they were gone. Neither sight nor sound of a crow for several days now. However, the Kite is back!!!
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser

CP likes this post.
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 124 posts

Postby Lindsay » 14 Jul 2014, 15:10

organic chick wrote: However, the Kite is back!!!

Do kites take chicks? I lost a three-week old a couple of days ago, and we have had a couple of kites hanging round for a few days. I didn't see it being taken, and the buzzards (the usual culprits) haven't bee seen for a bit. I know that kites eat grasshoppers - when OH is combining, they fly level with the cab waiting to swoop. He says it is fantastic to look down on them as they glide beside him.
Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 85 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Pests and Predators