Sonic Fox Repellers , what do you think ?

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

Sonic Fox Repellers , what do you think ?

Postby yorkshire duck » 09 Jun 2014, 11:17

OH has been looking at these on-line & is wanting to buy us one, its the sonic emitter type with a strobe light jobby as well, & the blurb says it only affects foxes & no other animals.
Any one used one ?
I am 100% sceptical - from 30 odd years of keeping poultry the only way I've found to keep them safe is a run & house like Fort Knox, constant supervision when they're free ranging & a large fox hating dog who patrols the garden during the day & who will wake me (us) up during the night as soon as he senses a fox in the vicinity.
I know he means well but I'm not convinced, just wondered if anyone else has used one & what the results were ?
Chickens, ducks, geese, horses, dogs, cats & anything else that turns up on our doorstep won't be turned away.
yorkshire duck
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 8 posts

Re: Sonic Fox Repellers , what do you think ?

Postby jillychick » 09 Jun 2014, 17:33

Are Fox's canine the same as dogs? If so how come they won't upset the dogs? I would be sceptical as well. Will be interesting to see if it works though. I wish they did one for herons to keep them off my pond!!!
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 193 posts

Postby subruss » 09 Jun 2014, 21:42

They have to do something with all those dud hand held minesweepers they got caught trying to sell :lol:

yorkshire duck likes this post.
subruss

Liked in: 354 posts

Postby Wildybeast » 19 Jul 2014, 15:39

Hi folks,

Just thought i would add my two pennies worth.

In my humble opinion, Electronic fox deterrents may work for a limited period of time. Unfortunately, Charlie is a very clever little bugger and will soon realise it wont hurt him.

As mentioned, Stay vigilant, Do your best to make your garden and coop fox proof.

If you cant deter Charlie...... try to trap him. You’ll need a means of humane dispatch, I’m sure someone local will help with that.

With regards to keep Herons off your pond.... Funny enough. Most big garden centres now sell life- like animals. Badgers, Rabbits, gunniea pigs etc. ( not sure I spelt that right … lol )

They also sell realistic foxes. Although quite expensive. They may well be worth a try. Most birds run a mile when they see a fox.

Just a thought.

WB
Wildybeast
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby jillychick » 19 Jul 2014, 18:16

We had a life like heron standing at the edge of our pond. A quick look out the window on the way to the bathroom at first light had me thinking I was seeing double! It was side by side with the plastic heron fishing! Not a Fox in sight when you need one!
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 193 posts

Return to Pests and Predators