Red mite, Drfish and Neem oil.

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Red mite, Drfish and Neem oil.

Postby soufle » 16 May 2014, 09:20

forgot to say Jchick,I grow most of my brassicas under debris netting but the CWs still get in any tiny hole .The neem mixed with washing up liquid worked a treat and the crop came through unscathed and as drfish says, it has properties good for the plant too.
Also if you do a bit of searching Neem is good for the skin, its used in soaps,lotions and creams and reviews Ive read seem to agree that it works. I'm wearing it today in fact diluted in EVOO and CO..Ive soaked my hair in the mix for half an hour and then shampood ...It does however ...STINK... a small compromise I think.
soufle
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 70 posts

Postby soufle » 16 May 2014, 09:24

oooooooh ..that could be difficult MO. I bought two little plastic rainhoods the other day,I will wear them when I clean out.I have dispoasable boiler suits with hoods ,the zip up the front,so armed with these two and a smear of vaseline around the hair lineI should be ok. I put the boiler suit in a bag and put it in the freezer until next time I need it. I have a chest freezer outside, its got some very odd things in it. Also ,am I the only woman who has to move a chainsaw, a bucket of rat poison and a battery charger from the lid of said freezer before I can get in it? bl**dy men !

MamaOwl likes this post.
soufle
Chick
Chick

Postby soufle » 16 May 2014, 09:26

Henwife....my washer is in a seperate utility across the yard ,I'm just trying to imagine the looks I might get from people who 'mite' see me .
soufle
Chick
Chick

Postby jillychick » 16 May 2014, 10:05

soufle wrote:http://www.oils4life.co.uk/epages/es133723.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=26536612&ViewAction=ViewProduct
I deal with this company JC. I find them very good and have an extensive list ,oregano oil will be my next purchase.

Thanks soufle will order some today. Do you dilute it in water, use it as it comes or?
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 193 posts

Postby jillychick » 16 May 2014, 10:12

soufle wrote:forgot to say Jchick,I grow most of my brassicas under debris netting but the CWs still get in any tiny hole .The neem mixed with washing up liquid worked a treat and the crop came through unscathed and as drfish says, it has properties good for the plant too.
Also if you do a bit of searching Neem is good for the skin, its used in soaps,lotions and creams and reviews Ive read seem to agree that it works. I'm wearing it today in fact diluted in EVOO and CO..Ive soaked my hair in the mix for half an hour and then shampood ...It does however ...STINK... a small compromise I think.

Yeah I know the screen netting didn't work for us either!! But last year was an exceptionally good year for CW!! We had clouds of them for what seemed like months :evil: must agree this neem sounds really good stuff
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Postby drfish » 16 May 2014, 10:32

Dilute with warm water if it's pure oil (it's very thick and gloopy, and will stink your house out), and use a drop or two of fairy liquid to break the surface tension of the water so it mixes better. Organic washing up liquid or horticultural soap will also do if you're of the organic flavour.

I found a tablespoon per litre seem to work well.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

soufle likes this post.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby jillychick » 16 May 2014, 11:03

Sounds good, thanks will be deffenetley giving it a go this summer :thumbright:

soufle likes this post.
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Postby PixieDust » 01 Jun 2014, 10:06

I use something called Billy No Mates by a company called CSJ, (Google that as I can't do links from my phone), as a flea and tick preventive for my dog. It contains Neem leaves. It takes about 6 weeks at the beginning of the season to become effective. Some people have no luck with it but personally I find it keeps him free of all peskies and is natural. He is fed raw and bones and stuff and leads a pretty chemical free existence apart from the odd internal wormer.

Maybe worth a try on dogs to prevent them getting red mite. But remember it's not an immediate fix. However, makes the dog smell nice !
One wonderful bloke, one Cocker Spaniel. Girls arrived 15/11/14 Columbine - Winter, (Winnie), Bluebell - Pixie, Light Sussex, - Lillith, (Lily).
Black Copper Maran - Autumn, (Pob) RIP 15/12/14

soufle likes this post.
PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 48 posts

Postby jillychick » 01 Jun 2014, 17:42

Ok I've got the Neem oil have spayed the veg, now on to the shed and chickens Can I spray it onto the hens? Will it work as a deterrent? Or do I just spray it all over the shed I've no signs of red mite and want to keep it that way.
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Postby soufle » 01 Jun 2014, 18:31

PixieDust, thanks for that .Ive not heard of it and have looked it up.very interesting. Amazingly ,ive not found a flea on our dog since she came to us as a pup carrying her own livestock and she's now nearly 11yo. ! just been lucky maybe although Ive found a tic or two .I feed the Verm x crunchies daily, maybe thats helped.

PixieDust likes this post.
soufle
Chick
Chick

Postby soufle » 01 Jun 2014, 18:50

Jillychick , Ive not sprayed it on the birds ,I'm not sure if its a good idea as its very oily. Maybe I should have because Ive had a bad week and have lost two of my lovely pullets which has made me very sad.. I thought I was getting on top of the job but a couple of nights ago , one of the girls hadnt gone to bed but was lying by the dust bath and her comb was very pale. I could see she wasnt going to make it and put her in a box for the night . Another looked a bit off colour and it too was dead by morning. I had an awful sleepless night wondering what else I could have done , at lunch time when they had their scratch they had all come running and all seemed well .In the morning another bird was still on the perch looking very lack lustre and I could see she was going the same way. I nipped down to our local country store and picked up a bottle of Battles poultry drink . What marvelous stuff, within a couple of hours she was perking up and by the next day you wouldnt know which one she was ,her comb was back to a much better colour.
Anyway, yesterday, I blitzed the bl**dy coop out again ,first with neat distilled vinegar( a whole gallon ) until it was running out of every nook and cranny and a few hours later when it had dried I went over it again with more Neem spray. Later after lights out I went back to spray the girls with Barrier Mite X concentrate which you can spray directly onto the birds. They looked much happier this morning . Today ,I did my other coop where there is no mite (fingers crossed )I sprayed that with the Barrier Mite x and then chucked DE everywhere, mite powder in the nest boxes etc. Put clean sand down in the runs and am now flippin exhausted.

Cant praise the Battles Poultry drink highly enough and from n ow on it will be in my chicken pharmacy in fact Ive put my older birds on it too as Ive had several broody and theyre not looking their best either.
soufle
Chick
Chick

Postby jillychick » 02 Jun 2014, 10:05

Ohhhh soufle what a week :( so sorry about the pullets, it's enough to make you wonder why we do it :? I'm dreading the dreaded Red mite, I've been lucky so far not a sign of em
My lot insist on having mini moult all at different times, I wish they would settle down and just do it properly and shed the lot once a year, but oh no they seem to do it a bit at a time, so I never know exactly who's doing what, when, or who's laying or not. I'm constantly checking for mites lice etc but never find any.
I was thinking that with them having bare patches with feathers just starting to come back it might be good to treat directly onto the skin, give them a little more protection? I hope you get sorted out soon, I've got flea shampoo on my shopping list just in case :lol:
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Postby soufle » 02 Jun 2014, 14:36

Jc ,yes, it is sad to lose a bird and I suppose Ive been lucky as it was my first loss since starting with chickens.
Ive been reading about the life cycle of the mite and I think spraying at seven days might be too long , maybe five days max until you get things under control. The thing with Neem is that it dosnt knock them dead, it works by interfering with their nervous system so you need to use repellant until this has worked ..I dont know if Barrier Mite X kills them as well or of it is just a repellant and will try to find out today. That too is suitable for organic systems.
This quite interesting too and this 'mite' be next on the list.
http://www.fwi.co.uk/articles/04/02/201 ... he-way.htm
soufle
Chick
Chick

Postby laffinfowl » 05 Jun 2014, 22:27

soufle wrote:Jillychick , Ive not sprayed it on the birds ,I'm not sure if its a good idea as its very oily. Maybe I should have because Ive had a bad week and have lost two of my lovely pullets which has made me very sad.. I thought I was getting on top of the job but a couple of nights ago , one of the girls hadnt gone to bed but was lying by the dust bath and her comb was very pale. I could see she wasnt going to make it and put her in a box for the night . Another looked a bit off colour and it too was dead by morning. I had an awful sleepless night wondering what else I could have done , at lunch time when they had their scratch they had all come running and all seemed well .In the morning another bird was still on the perch looking very lack lustre and I could see she was going the same way. I nipped down to our local country store and picked up a bottle of Battles poultry drink . What marvelous stuff, within a couple of hours she was perking up and by the next day you wouldnt know which one she was ,her comb was back to a much better colour.
Anyway, yesterday, I blitzed the bl**dy coop out again ,first with neat distilled vinegar( a whole gallon ) until it was running out of every nook and cranny and a few hours later when it had dried I went over it again with more Neem spray. Later after lights out I went back to spray the girls with Barrier Mite X concentrate which you can spray directly onto the birds. They looked much happier this morning . Today ,I did my other coop where there is no mite (fingers crossed )I sprayed that with the Barrier Mite x and then chucked DE everywhere, mite powder in the nest boxes etc. Put clean sand down in the runs and am now flippin exhausted.

Cant praise the Battles Poultry drink highly enough and from n ow on it will be in my chicken pharmacy in fact Ive put my older birds on it too as Ive had several broody and theyre not looking their best either.

Similar to you i found a bird who had been sitting on eggs outside the coop looking in a very sorry state,first thing i did was clip all the feathers from around the vent area,then used a knock down spray all over the bird especially around he back end area,next used a pour on. Put her in a cage in the shed with a drinker with two tablespoons of honey dissolved in water and some mixed grain,she had not interest in eating or drinking at all so i carefully syringed about 30 mls of the honeyed water into the side of her beak.
Left her overnight expecting to find her dead the neat morning but she battled well and after been treated with pour on and ant killer powder she made a dramatic recovery
and is now back laying,two other birds sharing the same coop seemed unafected but i treated them anyway. I removed all bedding and burned it,painted the inside of the coop with real deal Creosote which killed them instantly and have,nt seen any sign of one since.

soufle likes this post.
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 197 posts

Previous

Return to Pests and Predators