Red mite, Drfish and Neem oil.

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

Red mite, Drfish and Neem oil.

Postby soufle » 14 May 2014, 22:03

well, Ive just spent a harrowing three weeks battling red mite in one of my coop s and on me and the dog! :shock: Showering, scrubbing, hair washing and even worse, having to IRON me clothes includin me soddin socks and knickers !! :angryfire: :angryfire: The house has been treated with Indorex? The dog has just about stopped scratching and fortunately enjoys having a bath and obligingly climbs in the bath unbidden.
In desperation I tried Lyclear on my hair, its worked but made my skin sore so now Ive had to buy some cream to calm it.
But enough whining about me and the dog ,Ive felt so sorry for the girls that Ive left the pop hole open so they can get out early. Ive treated the coop with Indorex twice (inside and out) and then bought some harka mitex? but never used it as the cooops are in my orchard in full blossom and it clearly states 'Injurious to bees' .
So, after reading through the archives I came upon a heated discussion between Drfish and another about neem oil. Ive been using it about every four days in my knapsack sprayer using a mix of neem and fairy liquid. I get the feeling that the girls are much happier but Ive not seen any mites at all either on me, the dog or anywhere in the coop which is only a few months old.
So, drfish ,are you still using neem, are you finding that it works against red mite and if I use it once a week now will it be enough to break the cycle do you think ?.? [-o<
soufle
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 70 posts

Re: Red mite, Drfish and Neem oil.

Postby Henwife » 15 May 2014, 06:56

I had to laugh, having once suffered the same horrenous infestation myself. I found dog shampoo was the best thing to use in the shower (for me) and still keep some for emergencies. I now use Ficam-W annually throughout the houses which seems to be effective. Neem oil mixed with baby oil is my mixture of choice against horse flies in particular and biting insects in general when archaeologising. It stinks but it works. I await Dr Fish's reply with interest.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

soufle likes this post.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby drfish » 15 May 2014, 09:27

I've not used it since last year in all honesty, when I had a particularly bad outbreak after getting lax with the preventative regime. It did seem to kill them off, but I ended up applying Ficam anyway in the Autumn, and having seen a little red blighter since.

I had a good check at the weekend as it happens, just for sanity, and found nothing at all. I've still got half the Ficam too, so the first sign of anything showing up and it'll get nuked.

I still maintain Neem oil is a very effective pest control agent. If used correctly.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

PixieDust likes this post.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby soufle » 15 May 2014, 14:26

Henwife wrote:I had to laugh, having once suffered the same horrenous infestation myself. I found dog shampoo was the best thing to use in the shower (for me) and still keep some for emergencies. I now use Ficam-W annually throughout the houses which seems to be effective. Neem oil mixed with baby oil is my mixture of choice against horse flies in particular and biting insects in general when archaeologising. It stinks but it works. I await Dr Fish's reply with interest.

I'll let you off Henwife :)
,my hubby thinks I'm losing me marbles and i do see the funny side of it. I'm sure I'm getting down it now but its put years on me.
Ficam W then? I'll get some as the other ,bigger coop seems ok and Ive done that with neem as well.
We've loads of semi feral wood pigeons , they are even nesting in the big stable block, hubby has moved two lots already. I reckon they'll be the culprits... :angryfire:
soufle
Chick
Chick

Postby soufle » 15 May 2014, 14:30

I still maintain Neem oil is a very effective pest control agent. If used correctly.[/quote]

I use it in the garden and last year it was very effective on CW caterpillers.

I did have a brush with RM last year and got them on me also, this year has been much worse and I'm not going to get lax again. :)
soufle
Chick
Chick

Postby drfish » 15 May 2014, 15:19

It's definitely very effective in horticulture. It's systemic (and also beneficial to most plants) so any bug that comes along and tries to eat it will get screwed over. As well being a good contact killer.

I first learnt all about it in my greenhouse days, when I was having loads of trouble with various pests. Quick spray of that and it was all over for them.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Postby MamaOwl » 15 May 2014, 15:46

PEOPLE can get REDMITE!!!???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mum to 5, grandmother to 2, wife to 1

2 people like this post.
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 219 posts

Postby drfish » 15 May 2014, 15:52

Yep, they will bite you. I tested the theory deliberately and got several rather itchy little bites.

Don't think they'd last long on us though, but they'll certainly have a nibble.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Postby soufle » 15 May 2014, 19:29

yes Mama Owl . they can and they do.Its an awful sensation when you realise there are 'things' crawling on you. Theyre so small ,Ive never seen them ,even with me specs on .Ive put pillows and duvets not in use in the deep freeze and also put hair bands, brushes etc in the freezer. Its maybe overkill but I think re infestation is not out of the question. I think Ive sorted the dog with a flour sifter full of flowers of sulphur and shampooing with Johnson's flea shampoo or next time I will add some neem .However she isnt scratching like she was. if anything makes me think of giving up chickens...its this.
soufle
Chick
Chick

Postby Henwife » 15 May 2014, 21:32

Smaller than pinhead little grey things. They may not live long on humans but they itch like crazy. Head covering is essential when dealing with a seriously infested house, strip off as you pass the washing machine (all clothes straight in) and have a long, very hot shower. You may get some funy looks from nearest & dearest, and possibly any passing visitor.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

soufle likes this post.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby jillychick » 16 May 2014, 07:50

Neem oil sounds good to have around as well as pest control for the allotment this year. The amount of CW caterpillars were horrendous last summer. So where can I get some?
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 193 posts

Postby Moriarty » 16 May 2014, 07:58

oh just reading this is making me itch and scratch! I remember getting the red mite on me and itching for days, jumping in the shower, boiling my clothes .... cannot imagine how irritating it is for the chickens!
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..

soufle likes this post.
Moriarty

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby soufle » 16 May 2014, 09:12

http://www.oils4life.co.uk/epages/es133 ... iewProduct
I deal with this company JC. I find them very good and have an extensive list ,oregano oil will be my next purchase.
soufle
Chick
Chick

Postby soufle » 16 May 2014, 09:13

you're not wrong there Moriarty. I'm just off for a quick spray at the coops this morning again. It dosnt half focus your attention when you get soemthing like this.
soufle
Chick
Chick

Postby MamaOwl » 16 May 2014, 09:15

wow.. and I have dreads... eeeekk!!!
Mum to 5, grandmother to 2, wife to 1
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 219 posts