First fox encounter..

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

First fox encounter..

Postby Kate1978 » 08 May 2014, 09:14

Sweetpea my pekin bantam often squawks first thing in the morning before I get up. Usually its nothing. Cat nearby or birds being noisy.

This morning she squawked about four times. I looked out the window and there was a fox along the side of her run. I ran out and scared the fox off. The fox has done a poo along the side of the run on top of slabs.

I have taken a few pics of my enclosure but it wont let me upload as the pics are over 1mb. Wanted you experienced chicken keepers to tell me if my run looks secure. I have had my chickens (now just one tho ; () for 2 yrs and this is the first time a fox has been seen in my garden and I'm sure it wont be the last.

Anyone tell me how I can put some pics on?
Kate1978
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 34 posts

Re: First fox encounter..

Postby MamaOwl » 08 May 2014, 09:19

They poo as a marker for later.. in a kind of "This is where I found a food source" way.

Some people swear by male wee around enclosures... or if you have a dog let it pee around it?

If you have slabs it should be ok.. but saying that... I did have a fox dig under mine a few years back :-(
Mum to 5, (youngish lol) grandmother to 2.
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 218 posts

Postby Kate1978 » 08 May 2014, 09:27

Thanks mamaowl. I did think the poo would be a marker! Bloody bastard fox. I've told my other half to wee in a jug and pour it around the enclosure.
I've got slabs on one side on the outside of the run and slabs on two sides of the inside of the run. One side there is nothing. Told the other half to put more slabs down. Also the enclosure has weld mesh on the inside.
Kate1978
Chick
Chick

Postby jillychick » 08 May 2014, 13:50

Oh Kate that horrible, it will be back they don't give up that easy. I've heard about the male pee as well, hope it works. Good luck keep sweet pea safe
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.

yorkshire duck likes this post.
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 193 posts

Postby Kate1978 » 08 May 2014, 14:20

Thanks jillychick. It's really stressing me out...I am a stress head anyway.

Other half has put some more slabs down and cleared away the fox poo and put some jeyes fluid down.

Only got one chicken left and would be devastated if a fox got her.
Kate1978
Chick
Chick

Postby drfish » 08 May 2014, 16:13

I always pee around my enclosures (apologies for the crassness). I'm not entirely sure whether it works or not, but every little helps.

However, I'm of the opinion it *might* work to some extent, in that we have a fair few local foxes, none of which seem interested in my garden. Whether that be the pee, or the dogs (one of the foxes had quite a sore bottom a year or so ago after my Staffie tagged it for harassing our cat), or the wife even, I can't be sure. But they'll go on both my neighbours gardens. One of my neighbours used to feed them until I had a slightly passive aggressive word with her about it, and pointed out that they are vermin, despite being cute and fluffy, and don't need extra help from us.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

4 people like this post.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby subruss » 08 May 2014, 21:06

What really works is getting somebody to trap or shoot it, and tell the bunny huggers to(what your doing in a jug) off. :thumbright:

7 people like this post.
subruss

Liked in: 354 posts

Postby Kate1978 » 08 May 2014, 22:41

If the fox becomes a real nuisance which I'm sure it will. Trapping/shooting it might be an option.

Daft question but who would do this for me? Pest control? Who could I try and contact in my area? Farmer/gane keeper?
Kate1978
Chick
Chick

Postby subruss » 09 May 2014, 09:40

Around here if you have a fox problem you just ask in the pub there are loads of people with guns and licences to shoot vermin but I would imagine in a more urban area you may have to use pest control or the council, make sure you get someone who culls after trapping and not someone who lets it go a few miles away or dumps it in the countryside :angryfire:. Last year a couple of young lads set up just outside the village near some allotments and shot 7 foxes in one night That will be the extent of your problem if you leave it to long :(
subruss

Liked in: 354 posts

Postby Kate1978 » 09 May 2014, 10:00

Theanks subruss. We live in a semi-rural (garden backs onto fields which has horses init) area so I'm sure if I ask around someone will know someone who could help me out if needs be.
Kate1978
Chick
Chick

Postby drfish » 10 May 2014, 14:45

I'm sure a local farmer would oblige for a few beer tokens.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby Cluck cluck » 14 May 2014, 10:39

If you are rural and have plenty of land go to a website called pigeonwatch. Register there and offer a 'permission' to shoot Charlie and youll be inundated with offers!! Always check their credentials like insurance and you could try the old "theres a nuisance cat too, could you take care of it too?". If they agree, STAY WELL CLEAR!!
Cluck cluck
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby ACHARKER » 14 May 2014, 19:49

If I lived closer I would offer to take care of him for you.

Kate1978 likes this post.
ACHARKER

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Kate1978 » 15 May 2014, 10:45

Well Mr Fox has not been back. Certainly not in the daytime anyway.

We have put slabs all around the inside perimeter of the enclosure and there are also slabs on one side of the outside of the enclosure.

Enclosure has weld mesh on the inside of the structure and roof which is also covered with corregated roofing.

You would be a very useful neighbour to have ACHARKER :grin:
Kate1978
Chick
Chick

Postby Lindsay » 15 May 2014, 16:38

I have electric netting around all my pens. Never had a problem with (ground-based) predators since I installed it.
Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 85 posts

Next

Return to Pests and Predators