chicken noise ?

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

craiglc

chicken noise ?

Post by craiglc » 24 Jul 2013, 18:20

Hi. was not sure where to put this thread.
I am thinking of getting some hens shortly, and as I live in a mid terraced urban house, I am concerned with how much noise hens make?
Do they make much noise at all?
I am going to chat to my neighbours before I get the hens, but don't want them to complain later if the hens make too much noise.
myself I love the sound of them clucking away.
any advice please?

HelenVF
Pullet
Pullet

Re: chicken noise ?

Post by HelenVF » 24 Jul 2013, 18:23

The noisiest hen I had was a leghorn, other than that, they don't really make a noise at all, in my experience anyway.

Helen

subruss

Post by subruss » 24 Jul 2013, 19:29

some hens can make a right noise just after laying an egg but normally only lasts for about 5 mins but it is annoying :). My advice would be give neighbours some eggs now and again.

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 24 Jul 2013, 21:17

Or Earplugs 8-[

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 25 Jul 2013, 08:39

Mine make a bit of noise at first light, but not enough to wake you up. Just chattering and low pitched 'cawwww'

Other than that, as said above, just alert noises when danger is present, or they've popped an egg out and want everyone to know about it. Even then though, it's not an ear piercing noise like a cockerel crowing.

Ducks on the other hand.... :roll: :mrgreen:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

craiglc

Post by craiglc » 25 Jul 2013, 09:02

Thanks for the advice.i guess its no worse than dogs barking now and again is it.
Appretiate the replies.

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 25 Jul 2013, 09:56

Not even close to dogs barking.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

iwilson

Post by iwilson » 25 Jul 2013, 19:23

much nicer than dogs barking :)
ours have a noisy time in the coop if the sun is up and their door isn't opened by 7am, then again at about 11am (that's their mid day grass cuttings or other green stuff time) and again after our dinner if they see us in the garden .... I think it's because they are sociable little things and they love having us slaves to witter too LOL

Moriarty

Post by Moriarty » 26 Jul 2013, 07:55

apart from egg laying when they crow a bit (but nothing like a cockerel, nor as loud) and the occasional cluck-cluck when they find something interesting to eat, and a bit of happy-burbling when they're contented, I'd say they are fairly quiet. Certainly a cockerel makes a bit of a racket and might upset the neighbours, but we lived next door to neighbours who kept chickens and, for about four years, I didn't realise they had any since they were that quiet.
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..

Cluck cluck
Chick
Chick

Post by Cluck cluck » 26 Jul 2013, 17:53

We live in a terraced house in a rural area, we have 4 RIR's and even with the doors and windows open you can't hear them at all. You can only hear them when you're right up close!

craiglc

Post by craiglc » 26 Jul 2013, 18:15

Thankyou everyone for taking the time to reply. :bounce: :bounce:
You have put my concerns to rest.
I ordering the coop next week.excited.