Red Mite :(

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

sallyjanejempson

Red Mite :(

Post by sallyjanejempson » 27 Jun 2013, 08:36

I need some advice please, i went to collect eggs this morning and noticed one of the eggs was crawling with lots of little red spiders. I am going to get some poultry shield this morning and deep clean the hen house but should i also get something to treat my 8 hens? never had this problem before :( so any advice would be really helpful ,
thank you x

NannyP

Re: Red Mite :(

Post by NannyP » 27 Jun 2013, 10:02

Hi,

The red mite don't live on the hens, just feed off them at night and then retire to digest their meal in the crevices in your hen house. So, regular cleaning and using the various treatments recommended on the forum will help keep the red mite pop at bay.

Do a search in this forum, there is lots of advice about how to attack red mite.

Good luck.

sallyjanejempson

Post by sallyjanejempson » 27 Jun 2013, 10:17

Thanks Nanny P i feel a bit happier to know that they don't live on the chickens it's such a worry . I will do some re -serch on this forum, thanks again :) x

ladyplumber

Post by ladyplumber » 27 Jun 2013, 12:40

It sounds like RED SPIDER MITE, which is a different critter to a REDMITE, and loves dry hot areas but doesn't have a diet of chicken blood - I think they're vegetarian :)
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 27 Jun 2013, 13:33

Red Spider Mites (veggies) are smaller than Red Mites (poultry), and a lot harder to see. You'd never spot them on an egg as they are actually more a grey/brown colour fully grown than red like a red mite with a belly full of blood. You'd certainly not see adolescent ones. I'd be very surprised if they were in the coop as there'd be no food in there for them. They live off leaf sap. More likely red mites I'd say. I've found them on eggs before when I had them last year. They are attracted to heat sources bear in mind, so they might well check eggs out that have been recently laid.

Either way, still worth going to town with the nuke spray. Get some ant powder and diatom, and make it part of your cleaning regime. Better safe than sorry. Red mites can kill a bird over time. Red spider mites will just destroy plants. Not usually an issue outdoors due to natural predation (big favourite of ladybirds), but in a greenhouse or conservatory, they kill your plants in weeks.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

Miss Chooks
Chick
Chick

Post by Miss Chooks » 28 Jun 2013, 13:36

I have read a few threads about using ant powder, I already use Diatom and a pink spray just called Red Mite Killer (bought from an animal feed place). Should I use and and powder to?

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 28 Jun 2013, 13:59

It's good to alternate the substances to prevent the mites becoming immune to their effects. I tend to use just Diatom and ant powder. I bought poultry shield (the pink stuff) but I don't rate it to be honest. It didn't seem to have any effect when I sprayed it directly at the mites.

There's various concoctions that can be made. Tobacco is another good pesticide. I use this once a year at the beginning of spring, but I'm a smoker, so it's easy to save some nub ends in a jar, fill with water, and leave for a few days. The smell is enough to to make you think twice, never mind the tobacco itself. I've had good results with neem oil mixed into this solution too.

I haven't seen a trace of red mites this year, at all. Last year I was seeing batches of several hundred every few days for about 4-6 weeks until I got them under control.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

touchstone

Post by touchstone » 18 Jul 2013, 16:55

Old fashioned creosote is what you want .