HELP,HELP

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

colinrichard

HELP,HELP

Post by colinrichard » 09 Jun 2013, 21:30

Hi All,
I am new to this.In my coop on my allotment I had a nice Rhode Island Red,a Light sussex and not sure on the third,but last night,early this morning,something took them.I have a six foot fence,no sign of any exit or entry,but lots of feathers.Found my light sussex at the end of the field,all still intact,but large gash on its back.I am gutted,so is the missus,but my kids are distraught.Could this be the work of a fox,concidering all of them have been taken.There are lots of other hens on the site.Hope someone can help.

many thanks colin

Lily
Hen
Hen

Re: HELP,HELP

Post by Lily » 09 Jun 2013, 22:00

What kind of cover do you have over the run?
Human beings are the only creatures on earth that allow their children to come back home."

tillyhfd
Chick
Chick

Post by tillyhfd » 09 Jun 2013, 22:50

I would put my money on fox, unless your run is like fort Knox it would easily get over a 6ft fence, sadly it will probably be back for any other chickens that are not securely shut in. They have the reputation of being cunning for a reason now it has found an easy food source it will keep popping back to see if there is more available. Really sorry for you loosing your girls Colin and I can imagine how upset your children are.

ladyplumber

Post by ladyplumber » 09 Jun 2013, 23:07

Sorry to hear this Colin but yes, I too would say fox. :(
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington