In all my years of keeping chickens ...Buzzard attacks

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

sasha.p

In all my years of keeping chickens ...Buzzard attacks

Post by sasha.p » 08 Apr 2013, 22:30

Help we are suddenly being attacked by the buzzards !we have lost my boys two bantams (yes henwife they were the girls we had from you :( my son will be devastated) first attack was Thursday then Saturday bantie got had then we got attacked again today but this time it picked on a large fowl blackrock and failed although it must of pinned her against our electric fence feathers everywhere but I found her huddled in her house no wounds visable just very shaken up can they take a large fowl down?im guessing my 6 cockerels in the run may of saved her but im so worried I knew they would pick up bantams but we have never had buzzard trouble in all my years of keeping chooks im guessing there must be a serious lack of food about I have not told my son as the boys had a bantam each and my eldest loved bantie so much as she was more docile than her sister more pets than anything else but now they are attacking my laying stock what can I do to stop them I cant net the runs way too big I need methods tried and tested that work as this bird will be back any advice would be greatly appreciated

Lily
Hen
Hen

Re: In all my years of keeping chickens ...Buzzard attacks

Post by Lily » 08 Apr 2013, 22:49

OMG! so sorry to hear of your losses. :crybaby: Poor kids, poor birds. :(

Can you use string to zig zag accross your runs with CD's attached every foot or so?
Maybe that would put them off if they can't directly fly in. Sorry can't be of more help.
Human beings are the only creatures on earth that allow their children to come back home."

sasha.p

Post by sasha.p » 08 Apr 2013, 23:16

Yep I am going to do the whole disc thing after reading what everyone has written on the subject I don't think my chooks will have much hope the buzzard is obviously pretty determined and hungry am going to shut them inside for a few days in the hope it will find another spot to hunt whilst I sort some detterents out I feel rather sad too as although they were the smallest they were the bravest out of al my birds especially bantie she was such a loving little thing I just hope the buzzard does not hurt any more I just cant see how we will stop it now its got a taste for them am hoping the cockerals may of scared it enough to make it not want to come back but I said that after the first attack as the bird was in the run trying to take off but kept hitting our electric fence and could not take off due to gorging itself too much and trying to get over such a high fence so we had to pick it up and released it thinking it would not try it again after the shock of the fence and being caught and handled etc but then it returned then it did it again but got out that time on its own but todays attack left my chook in real shock I hope she will be better tomorrow :(

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 09 Apr 2013, 08:53

Even basic garden netting over the top would be enough to stop an airborne attack. If they are silly enough to try it, they'll end up getting in a tangled mess.

With the bad weather of late, their usual prey, rabbits, rodents etc are not quite as active as they would normally be, so they're probably getting a bit desperate.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

chuck1

Post by chuck1 » 09 Apr 2013, 16:43

Yes, plastic garden/pea/bean netting stretched over the top will keep them out. Even that works out a bit expensive. If the pen is very big, put wire where necessary to fix the plastic netting to.