Mites

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

chickencurryclan

Mites

Post by chickencurryclan » 02 Apr 2013, 18:14

Who uses what and how often? It might be flipping cold but I've found the little blighters today :cheers: grrrrrrr......let the war begin!,

ladyplumber

Re: Mites

Post by ladyplumber » 02 Apr 2013, 19:25

I use ant powder, replenish once a week when I clean out.

None of the little ********ards yet, but I'm not being complacent :thumbright:
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

chickencurryclan

Post by chickencurryclan » 03 Apr 2013, 09:06

Have been out today....creosoted the perches and waiting for them to dry.....yep ant powder I need to get some more and maybe diatom too....

wizbit

Post by wizbit » 03 Apr 2013, 12:28

I diatom everywhere every clean out - once a week - and liberally dust the birds with diatom once a week and put diatom in their feed. NO MITES at all last year and none so far this year - fingers crossed. Egg laying is at max with most of the birds laying every day - tooooooo many eggs is a different problem though :)

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 03 Apr 2013, 13:26

Alternating between DE and ant powder is better than using one or the other. They build up less resistance that way. Getting on top of the breeding cycle is way more important than which product to use. Bear in mind, in optimum conditions, they can breed about every 3-5 days, producing several hundred eggs at a time. When I get an outbreak, I strip everything out, clean it properly, dust with DE or ant powder like a demented forensic scientist, and then change the bedding/floor covering every 5 days. That got them under control quite well in about a month last year, and only ever had to deal with small pockets of them thereafter.

No sign yet though where I am, but it's been below freezing for almost 2 weeks now.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

Woodland Hen
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Woodland Hen » 09 Apr 2013, 13:22

Last year I user Perbio Choc. It's hardcore!

My laying flock are housed in an old out building with rough stone walls and various wooden bits and nooks and carnnies galore :evil: My birds were getting serioulsy ill despite Poultry Sheild and diatom and whenever I went in there I got covered. I bought 1 liter of the Perbio Choc and I blasted everywhere. It has a residual effect and leaves a coating on surfaces and can aparently work for 3 months. It was September before I used it and I had had the summer from hell with mites, they were gone instantly, you could see them dropping off the perches walls etc. I have not seen a mite since, I know its been cold but I am confident that stuff works. I am just ordering 5 liters for this year.

Down side is it has a strong smell and the smell lingers, you need gloves and mask etc to use it, however I have just found out you can also paint it onto wood so that might make it easier to use.
Barred Plymouth Rocks, Silver Pencilled and Partridge Wyandottes, 24 cows, 10 sheep, 3 horses, a cat, a dog..........always knackered!

CP

Post by CP » 09 Apr 2013, 17:09

Where can you get it from, I've not heard of it before. Sounds like good stuff! :grin:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 09 Apr 2013, 19:10

regencypoultry.com do it - looks like the real deal but I have a nasty feeling that one of our members in here will complain due to its being like ficam w for professional use only. Let's hope he's not watching us :-$

Woodland Hen
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Woodland Hen » 10 Apr 2013, 08:44

Yep regency poultry is where I get it, and kated you might be right. :shock:
Barred Plymouth Rocks, Silver Pencilled and Partridge Wyandottes, 24 cows, 10 sheep, 3 horses, a cat, a dog..........always knackered!

CP

Post by CP » 10 Apr 2013, 10:33

We've used Ficam W before with excellent results but obviously you do have to follow the safety precautions properly. ;)

Had a look at the data safety sheet for Perbio Choc & it seems a similar type of product. Although it's toxic & says for professional use, as long as you're sensible I can't see anything that you wouldn't do when using any other sort of chemical spray. And you can buy it in a very handy 1lt spray bottle already made up, unlike the Ficam W which you have to dilute.
It's a French product but obviously licensed for the UK or Regency wouldn't be selling it.

Might have to get some to use when you first see the little red b*****s & give them a blast! :angryfire:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 10 Apr 2013, 17:21

After trying every chemical, biological, and barrier method I could find, I gave up and bought plastic coops. So far, so good.

Moriarty

Post by Moriarty » 10 Apr 2013, 19:51

Me too, I got with the plastic coops, although I sprinkle the floor with ant powder and change the newspaper on the floor every day. With my wooden coop I had a serious problem with red mite, to the extent that when I moved the coop I actually burned the grass with a flamethrower under where the coop had been, in case the blighters were hiding in there. I've now smeared Vaseline on the joints of the perches as a way of telling if the red mite are still around, and found no red mite so fingers crossed, problem might be solved.
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..