Free Local Fox Control

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Free Local Fox Control

Postby Diane » 15 Jun 2013, 18:23

I've had a fox come into my suburban garden at midday last Friday and take one of my hens. Is it worth putting down a fox trap? Yesterday I saw a fox (? same one?) trotting down the road at 10.30am. A friend, two roads away, had one in her garden at 2.30pm. There seems to be a lot more this year. We hear them at night and they dig up our lawns. Anything I can do about it - is it worth trying to trap them? Needless to say all the hens are now locked in. Not sure when it would be safe to let them free range again without my having to stand over them to guard them. We've had hens for 10 years free ranging in the garden but this year we seem to be overrun with foxes.

Any advice much appreciated please. I'm in Wimborne, Dorset.
Diane
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 74 posts

Postby Clarissa » 20 Jun 2013, 08:48

We live in Portsmouth ,there are three foxes living under the garage on a large garden of the chip shop at the end of the road. They have had my chickens next doors rabbits and now three cats have gone missing in six months (different owners) another had its ear ripped off. These foxes walk down the wall bold as brass between the gardens of our houses and the one behind about six o clock.the owner of the shop feeds them regularly because he thinks it will stop them killing anything...yeah right! The council do not want anything to do with it,and refer us to a website that waxes lyrical about the urban fox and how lovely they are! Well my dad was an MFH and I grew up on an estate and saw a lot of foxes and I have never seen them acting the way these ones are! Maybe when a child gets bitten someone will wake up!
Clarissa

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Wildybeast » 28 Jun 2013, 21:35

Hi Diane.

Sorry i have taken so long to reply. I have only just seen your post.

email me your phone number and i'll give you some advice.

Jim
Wildybeast
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby mrbarry » 30 Jun 2013, 10:21

My dad shoots for the national pigeon and pest control (bit of a waste of a yearly fee he gets better shoots be word of mouth, local farmers have been using his services since 1971) Best way to control fox numbers is shoot them on sight. Nice big target and urban ones are easy if they come on your property, you have a 24/7 hyde and an open window is ideal to shoot out of. If you use an upstairs window you have better vision and the earth acts as a back stop to prevent hitting anything should you miss your target. A 10flb air rifle is more than up to the job but it has to be a head shot unless you hit the sweet spot in the chest.
It's legal on your own property but obviously never point the gun out of your own boundaries even to 'spot' a fox, neighbours can often get the hump and you don't want reporting to the police for shooting at neighbours gardens etc!!
Pigeon and rats are also vermin and fair game.
mrbarry

Postby Wildybeast » 02 Jul 2013, 19:11

A few guidelines to help trap your Fox

Firstly, A good sized trap will be invaluable with regards to protecting your poultry.

It’s on guard 24 / 7 / 365

However, prevention is always better than cure. Secure your coop as well as you possibly can.

Foxes can Climb trees, jump up to Six feet to clear fences, dig very fast and get under the smallest of gaps and holes.

So….. Trapping

A good trap will cost you around £100.

It needs to be around 5 Feet long. It should have an opening around 20 inches wide and 20 inches deep. It needs to have an “easy to trip” mechanism. It should also have a means of automatically locking when the door is tripped and falls.

It should be placed on flat ground and preferably on an area where a fox has previously killed one of your birds. This helps with regards to scent which will be Irresistible to the fox.

You don’t have to cover the cage with any camouflage, but it doesn’t hurt if you have lots of small branches or cuttings to make it look a little more natural.

Scent

Urban foxes are used to the scent of humans, however, when you first obtain your cage it will have a chemical scent from it’s manufacture.

I recommend rubbing garden dirt all over the wire… Top, Bottom and Sides.

When in use and baited ready to capture your fox, ENSURE the bottom of the cage is completely covered with dirt. NO wire should be seen by you, or felt by the pads of the foxes foot.

The best thing to use as a floor covering is the debris from the bottom of a “well used coop“, mixed with garden earth. Especially if it contains small bit of a previous kill. The blood and small pieces of your dead chook will greatly enhance your success.

With regards to bait. The best thing to use is one of your dead birds. Don’t hang it too close to the rear or sides of the trap. It must not be accessible from the outside. Alternative baits include Cat food, Tins of smelly mackerel, dead rats etc.

It there is clear evidence of the entry point into your property. Run a small thin line of Mackerel juice from that point to the entrance to the trap.

Most fox activity occurs during the hours of darkness, but they will venture out during daylight.

You must inspect the trap at least once a day.

DO NOT put your fingers near or through the cage if a fox has been caught. Sounds silly but I’ve seen it done !

You will need to make arrangements for your fox to be dispatched.

The best means is by a moderated 22 LR Rim-fire rifle. Use Subsonic ammunition.

Try your local gun dealer. They often know people who conduct pest control.

Dispose of the carcass sensibly and legally. The three B’s Burn it, Bury it or give it to the Bin men.

Foxes don’t usually make too much noise when caught. Most will try frantically for an hour or so to escape, but will then sit still and cower in the corner.

Don’t drop your guard. Once a fox has been caught and dispatched, another takes it’s place quite quickly.

Protection is an ongoing thing.

March, April, May, June, July are all very busy times where predation are concerned.

However,

Keep the trap running all year. You might catch the odd neighbours cat from time to time !!!

Any other question’s…… Just ask.

Hope this helps.

Jim

2 people like this post.
Wildybeast
Chick
Chick

Postby laffinfowl » 03 Jul 2013, 09:41

Brilliant advice there from Wildybeast,obviously knows his subject inside out.
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 197 posts

Postby drfish » 03 Jul 2013, 12:12

mrbarry wrote:My dad shoots for the national pigeon and pest control (bit of a waste of a yearly fee he gets better shoots be word of mouth, local farmers have been using his services since 1971) Best way to control fox numbers is shoot them on sight. Nice big target and urban ones are easy if they come on your property, you have a 24/7 hyde and an open window is ideal to shoot out of. If you use an upstairs window you have better vision and the earth acts as a back stop to prevent hitting anything should you miss your target. A 10flb air rifle is more than up to the job but it has to be a head shot unless you hit the sweet spot in the chest.
It's legal on your own property but obviously never point the gun out of your own boundaries even to 'spot' a fox, neighbours can often get the hump and you don't want reporting to the police for shooting at neighbours gardens etc!!
Pigeon and rats are also vermin and fair game.

I thought shooting a fox with an air rifle was illegal, or at least frowned upon? Unless you're an ace shot, you stand to cause it injury without actually killing it. A proper rifle for the job is the preferred method I think. While an 11lb air rifle is within legal limits, it's not a guaranteed kill with one, even on small animals. There's lots of cases of foxes with eyes missing where someone hasn't quite hit the money shot, and no one wants a badly injured fox to be roaming the streets. A crossbow would be way more effective, but unfortunately, illegal for the job.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

CP likes this post.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby mrbarry » 03 Jul 2013, 12:43

Well you need to hit the spot. After all a 12 gauge wont kill a fox if you hit it's foot. Do we want badly hurt fox's limping around the country? (I say yes but I'm not PC hahaha)
I've not yet had one win the draw let's put it that way ; )
mrbarry

Postby laffinfowl » 03 Jul 2013, 14:18

I,m far from a fan of foxes except maybe to admire them when they are a long way from my birds but this ain,t the way to deal with them,trapping is the only way to control them in an urban area,not taking pot shots at them out of an upstairs window with an air rifle,as far as i,m concerned if you have no feelings for an injured animal roaming around in pain then it beats my why you keep birds in the first place :(

CP likes this post.
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Postby mrbarry » 03 Jul 2013, 14:29

Lol. Ive never left an injured animal anywhere. My point is that you don't need an anti tank gun to do the job effectively. I'm sure any one on here would be willing to have a fox 'dealt with' I'm willing to do it my self that's the difference.
I have been around guns from birth and my dad drummed safety into me, idiots shooting on the canal or off their property do damage to the right of the people who use them responsibly and push the nanny state ever closer to a knee jerk reaction.

a fox is vermin like a rat or pigeon. They need culling or at least killing when on private land. An experienced person with an air rifle will be able to do this cleanly without leaving a suffering animal behind.
mrbarry

Postby laffinfowl » 03 Jul 2013, 16:51

mrbarry wrote: Do we want badly hurt fox's limping around the country? (I say yes but I'm not PC hahaha)
; )

I rest my case and won,t bother entering into any further discussion with anyone who makes a statement like that :-'''
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Postby mrbarry » 03 Jul 2013, 17:12

Lmfao. :lol:
mrbarry

Postby Wildybeast » 04 Aug 2013, 17:57

Hi folks,

Back after a long deserved break.

Time to dust off the old 243 and get back out in the rain.

Chat soon

WB
Wildybeast
Chick
Chick

Postby touchstone » 05 Aug 2013, 10:28

The score to date here in south cheshire this year is 13 foxes , & they keep on coming. It would suit me if they became extinct, I'd rather see free range poultry than foxes roaming everywhere.
touchstone

Postby Woodland Hen » 08 Aug 2013, 18:45

Great post on trapping Jim, thank you!

I am about to dig our trap out of the hedge and move it to the goose house, where the fox has visited at least 3 times that I know of, luckily house is very secure and so far only been a visit at night. I will follow your advice re bedding and covering the wire.
I found the remains of chalky a hen who went missing a while back, just the other side of the fence from the goose house, scary how close this one us coming to the farm house.

If trap doesn't work I might see if our neighbour is willing to stake out. He has a shoot so is very big on fox control which is why we have been problem free for so long.

The geese make so much noise at times, no wonder the fox has found them!
Barred Plymouth Rocks, Silver Pencilled and Partridge Wyandottes, 24 cows, 10 sheep, 3 horses, a cat, a dog..........always knackered!
Woodland Hen
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 43 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Pests and Predators