Free Local Fox Control

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Free Local Fox Control

Postby Wildybeast » 01 Sep 2013, 11:07

Hi everyone,

I've had a really busy few weeks.
The foxes are out in force. Just got to be a little careful re the anti badger mob. I'm sure they don't care if it's foxes I'm concentrating on ?
Hope everyone is well and your chooks are all safe.

Talk soon

WB
Wildybeast
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby Wildybeast » 16 Oct 2013, 16:20

I'm always sorry to hear when you folks are having such problems. Shame some of you are so far away.

:(

WB
Wildybeast
Chick
Chick

Postby n180n180 » 18 Nov 2013, 13:12

6:45 am this Fri just gone and I hear my chickens wake me up with a racket. I look out my bedroom window (I was still in bed) and in the dim light (sunrise was approx 7:20) I can just about make out a fox running frantically infront of the run trying to get in.

My first reaction was to open window making threatening noises, but not shouting in case neighbours also wake up. I see fox run up the 6 foot fence and onto roof of run. The 6 foot fence was like nothing for the fox, it sprinted up it in a second like a cat. That's it, I jump of bed, into my slippers and run downstairs and out into garden. I left a rake lying there, so I pick it up and start heading towards fox with rake infront of me in a threatning manner making noises. Fox looks at me from above run roof and jumps behind out of my garden and away it goes.

It really shook me up. I was so close to loosing my chickens, fortunately coop and run were secure enough. But my problem is I normally leave my chooks free ranging around garden 1 hour after sunrise until approx 1 hour before sunset. I'm not so worried about night, when they are safely locked away, but during the daytime when they are free ranging in the garden i am really worried. I was in 2 minds about letting them out after this because there are not usually people around MOST of the time. Fortunately they have been safe over last 3 days since fox came close to dawn.

So now what? I have a 6 foot fence all around my garden, will fox be brave enough to climb over this during daylight hours or just at night?
did I do enough to scare it off so it is not likely to come back?
Should I not let my chickens out of their coop during daylight hours (I really don't want to keep 12 chickens cooped up in a 12'x8' run most of the day)?

I need some advice for daylight hours wildybeast or anyone else. I can't place a trap in the garden because the chickens will just walk into trap.
I cannot put spikes around top of fence for stupid legal reasons/

will an 8 foot fence be any better?

Wildy, if you can answer some of these questions and advise, I'd be really grateful. I would call you in but your too far from me in Birmingham.
In Pecking Order:

Me, RIR Cockerill, Exchequer Leghorn x RIR Cockerill, Light Sussex, Legbar x unknown barred breed, RIR Hen, Columbine Number 1, Black Star, White Leghorn, Welsummer, Columbine number 2.
n180n180
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby n180n180 » 18 Nov 2013, 13:14

and one more thing, does the urine and human hair method really work?
In Pecking Order:

Me, RIR Cockerill, Exchequer Leghorn x RIR Cockerill, Light Sussex, Legbar x unknown barred breed, RIR Hen, Columbine Number 1, Black Star, White Leghorn, Welsummer, Columbine number 2.
n180n180
Chick
Chick

Postby Wildybeast » 18 Nov 2013, 13:24

Hi,

I have sent you a personal email. Give me a ring and i'll try to help.

WB
Wildybeast
Chick
Chick

Postby n180n180 » 18 Nov 2013, 21:59

So glad I rang you. Thanks for all the advice and your time, really appreciate it and I learnt so much about foxes and how to deter them. You sure have a rare field of expertise there Wildybeast. Keep it up.
In Pecking Order:

n180n180
Chick
Chick

Postby Wildybeast » 18 Nov 2013, 22:08

Lol….. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I do try to do my bit.

WB
Wildybeast
Chick
Chick

Postby CP » 19 Nov 2013, 10:35

I suspect that Wildybeast has given you loads of information but just to say that a fox can & will strike during daylight hours if undisturbed, & they can easily get over a 6' fence, as you've seen with your own eyes.

Electric fencing is probably the most secure way of keeping them out but not always easy to install in suburban gardens with neighbours who may complain it's dangerous! :roll: Maybe some sort of roofing might be easier.

You will have to make your run as secure as Fort Knox because the fox will be back for sure at some point. :angryfire: Good luck! ;)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 167 posts

Postby Wildybeast » 05 Dec 2013, 19:51

Just a tip..

Foxes find it a little more difficult at this time of year to catch their natural prey. Due to the lack of natural camouflage i.e. Sparsely leaved bushes etc.

Take extra care of your chooks. Make sure your protection and security are tip top.

The lack of foliage in your garden may highlight entry points etc that were hidden before.

Use this time of year to your advantage by making repair’s and improving security where you can.

Happy x-mas to all.

WB
Wildybeast
Chick
Chick

Postby ladyplumber » 05 Dec 2013, 21:04

Best wishes to you too Wildybeast, and thanks from us all for your timely warnings and advice :thumbright:
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington
ladyplumber

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby drfish » 06 Dec 2013, 10:18

Some good advice there. I've noticed a few points of entry that could do with a tidy up around the duck pen. Although it's not fox proof, I'm not in the habit of making it easy. Fortunately we don't have much of an issue with daytime foxes round our way due to a busy main road and lots of activity around the street all day.

Merry xmas to you :thumbright:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby Wildybeast » 17 Jan 2014, 13:42

Hi folks,

I’ve had a busy four weeks. Helped another couple rid their garden of Charlie.

Hope everyone had a great x-mas.

Look forward to helping more of you in the new year.

WB
Wildybeast
Chick
Chick

Postby Wildybeast » 30 May 2014, 14:58

What a busy time. Charlie seems to have prospered over the last year despite all the recent floods..... just goes to show how resilient he is !

Still keeping busy. Would just like to say thanks to mark and Suzy for their hospitality.... I’m glad I was of help. Remember though, Others will take their place.

Anyway, off out again tonight. More Foxes.. Loads of Pigeons and even more Rabbits to contend with.

Talk soon folks

WB

CP likes this post.
Wildybeast
Chick
Chick

Previous

Return to Pests and Predators