Pet Cats and Chickens

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

mumatmadhouse

Pet Cats and Chickens

Post by mumatmadhouse » 09 Aug 2012, 20:49

:cat: My new chickens are freaking out when any of my 3 or other cats come in the garden. I am hoping it is just a case of them all getting used to each other as only had the chickens 3 days. Has anyone else got experience of cats and chickens? :help:

Thanks xx

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: Pet Cats and Chickens

Post by Henwife » 10 Aug 2012, 07:17

Once they realise that the cats are not a danger, things will calm down. So long as they have somewhere to hide in the run - and that include a quick retreat into their coop - they'll be fine.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

Moriarty

Post by Moriarty » 10 Aug 2012, 08:45

4 garden cats and 6 chickens ... there's usually a bit of circling around looking at each other warily and, when the cat food is dished out, the chickens charge up and shove the cats out of the way so they can scoff it. When I dish up the chicken food, the cats come over and try to have a sniff. Actually they just ignore each other, the chickens only get freaked out if the cats decide to play and pounce on something, but I've never had a cat attack a chicken. At the moment I have a little feral kitten in the woodshed who is jumping out at the bantams, and wants to play, but the bantam turned round and chased the kitten away.
It will take a little while to settle down but, as Henwife says, when the chickens realise that the cats aren't a threat then they will settle down. Might take a few weeks but as long as the cats are well fed then they will just ignore the chickens anyway.
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 10 Aug 2012, 08:59

My eldest cat, who's around 2 years old now, likes to stalk the chickens, especially if I let them onto the garden. Nothing ever comes of it, I just thinks she's brushing up on her stalking skills to be honest (she can get right up to the chicken undetected). The chickens tend to stick within spitting distance of each other so safety in numbers applies to some degree.

The younger cat, the above's son, is still only around 11 months old, so he's kind of grown up with them from being a kitten. He likes to play with them, teasing them and chasing them, but never does anything. Both cats have had a head peck, so they know the chickens can and will hurt them if they feel threatened. But my youngest cat is terrified of our rabbit. When the rabbit's out, he purposely avoids it and tends to run away of the rabbit gets close. The elder cat, I think, would take the rabbit on a good day, but the rabbit knows not to go near her. Instinct thing I guess.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

millipup

Post by millipup » 10 Aug 2012, 10:18

Same as everybody else has posted -we have two cats of our own ,neighbours ones come and go ,chickens just dont care ! If I have very small chicks with their mum ,I keep them safe in a roofed pen untill they are bigger ,buts thats more to do with the ariel predators than cats .

sallyjanejempson

Post by sallyjanejempson » 11 Aug 2012, 10:24

Hi , i have four cats and nine chickens. Our chickens are loose in the garden all day and my cats were curious at first so i had to watch them but after a couple of weeks all seemed ok.

Poachedeggontoast
Chick
Chick

Post by Poachedeggontoast » 12 Aug 2012, 12:11

My cat who is about 12 years old now, totally ignores the 5 hens but they (bossy gits) run at her and try to give her a peck!!

We have pheasants that visit our garden regularly and the hens chase them as well. :bounce:

:lol:

leoti1

Post by leoti1 » 22 Oct 2012, 16:27

i have 6 cats who never bother the chickens , althou last year had to rescue my neighbours young kitten from the girls who had the poor thing cornered

tyncat
Chick
Chick

Post by tyncat » 15 Nov 2012, 20:30

We have 2 cats, 1 springer, a bunny with attitude and 3 batums in the garden, all get along fine and share each others feed

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 16 Nov 2012, 10:59

Be careful with the rabbit eating chicken feed. It's way too high in protein and can actually lead to kidney failure in rabbits. Rabbits can't process protein very well at all.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

Gordon

Post by Gordon » 20 Mar 2013, 21:48

This was going to be one of my first questions, as we live in an area with LOTS of cats, but the comments above have put my mind a little at ease.

Seems the chooks will give as good as they get LOL!!

subruss

Post by subruss » 21 Mar 2013, 12:13

We have a cat from down the road that tries to catch the sparrows that are trying to nick the chicken food and I have seen him in the crouch and pounce position less than a foot away from my cockerel who just looks at him as if to say what the heck are you suposed to be doing,Or maybe they are in cahoots as they would both get more of what they want if attack is successful.Plus the chickens relish finishing of any dead or injured birds the cat leaves,Its tough out there :lol:

Jessie

Post by Jessie » 21 Mar 2013, 12:49

My cat walks along the top of the chicken run from the hen shed to a pagoda thing on the other side. Nether the cat or the chickens seem to be that bothered by each other though they have always had a wire fence between them.