All done !

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

All done !

Post by Chris Kurzfeld » 18 Jul 2010, 16:33

Spent 3 days de red miting all the coops - have scrubbed, scraped and sprayed (Net-Tex concentrate) all 10 coops/sheds - I even went down every crevice and crack with a scalpel and small screwdriver - I also sprayed outside round doors, popholes, under the roofing and down each corner - in fact everywhere where there was the slightest crack. All chooks have had that dia wotsit earth stuff as have the houses. Spent all 3 days getting the little blighters off me - my goodness :shock:, I do feel very guilty for not noticing sooner - the ones on me were very irritating and very itchy - YUK! Not all the houses had it but have done them anyway - all except one very small broody coop with a hen and 1 chick in it. Had nowhere to put them for the 2 hours it says to keep them out of the coop so I cleaned it thoroughly and put "safe" red mite and louse powder all over - also dia wotsitted the chick and mum. Hope that is the end of the little blighters but I have armed myself with a big bag of the dia wotsit earth (can't spell it :grin: ), more Net-Tex spray, concentrate and powder. I am determined to kill the blighters :angryfire: !!!!
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!

Fairfax

Re: All done !

Post by Fairfax » 18 Jul 2010, 17:12

I really hope you have cracked it after all that hard work Chris.
You'll need a long bath and pampering now.

tussell

Post by tussell » 02 Aug 2010, 17:55

How did you get on, i did the same, but i keep finding the odd cluster under neath the perches in the big hen house, i think it comes from the bloody pheasant that was nesting in the back field.

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Chris Kurzfeld » 03 Aug 2010, 09:19

Almost there - I think- at first the horrible little sods were all over me - in my hair, up my nose and in my eyes - YUK!!!!!! My regime at the moment is to clean, spray and diatom every other day and I haven't had one on me for over a week now. Found a small cluster ourside one coop and gave them a blast of net tex and watched them squirm :evil2: :shock:. I also put louse powder as well as diatom in the shavings for floors and nestboxes - if all that doesn't get rid then I don't know what else to do. It is hard work but I have to protect the chooks from them so it has to be done - it isn't half helping with the weight loss too :lol: . Someone has suggested ant powder - which, after catching some mites and testing various products on them, worked the best at killing them - so I will probably give that a try if this doesn't work.
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

tussell

Post by tussell » 03 Aug 2010, 18:55

mite sounds abit sick, but i like to take a lighter out and listen to the little buggers pop :lol:

wireworm

Post by wireworm » 04 Aug 2010, 08:58

If you are thinking of using an 'ant powder', look for one that contains the active ingredient 'bendiocarb'. Don't use directly on the chickens, that's what diatomaceous earth is for, but it could be useful around and about the chicken house.

This active has known activity on mites, whereas any of the pyrethroid actives will struggle.

Big D

Post by Big D » 10 Aug 2010, 21:57

Err no.....sorry.....bendiocarb is highly toxic to poultry even in the house and nesting material. It's been banned in the USA since 2001
Permethrin is the chemical you are looking for (Nippon ant powder) It has a low toxicity level for poultry.

zng109

Post by zng109 » 11 Aug 2010, 20:19

30 day hatching cycle on the bugs, keep going :(
and stick ant powder under the coop, it works ;)
smart ars big D said it all and at £1.80 its a lot cheeper ;)

and I thought I had crabs after my infestation :shock:
but life as a vestal virgin made me realise that it was not possible :-({|=

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Chris Kurzfeld » 12 Aug 2010, 08:29

After spending weeks now cleaning, spraying and powdering with Diatom I got Andy to get me 12 tubs of ant powder with Permethrin (0.5%) and did another total clean before chucking the ant powder everywhere!!!! All I have found since are dead ones =D> :grin: - will do it again in a couple of days and keep doing it till i see none at all.
Chris

Big D

Post by Big D » 12 Aug 2010, 10:40

12 tubs :shock:
You'll never need to buy any again. I've had one small tub of Nippon for over a year now. :lol:

I use diatom as well in the girls house. Used together with Indorex flea spray in the upper reaches of the shed and Bio-Dri on the floor and I've always been mite free (touches wood, crosses fingers)

It would have to be one hell of a tough mite to survive all that :lol:

wireworm

Post by wireworm » 12 Aug 2010, 16:29

Bendiocarb is not 'banned in the USA'.

The EPA demanded a lot of extra test results from Bayer, who declined to play their game and withdrew bendiocarb from the market. Not the same as being banned.

I'd be surprised if a 0.5% bendiocarb dust was a risk to chickens, especially if it was used in areas to which they could not get access - but I would agree that 'ant powder' is best used against ants.

I'd also be surprised if permethrin dust was much good against mites.

Big D

Post by Big D » 12 Aug 2010, 21:04

"All bendiocarb-containing products in the United States were recently cancelled, after its manufacturers voluntarily chose to pull their products off the market, rather than conduct additional safety studies required by the EPA"
(Wiki)
Yes I stand corrected however it's a technicality. If they had a hope in hells chance of getting past the EPA they would have at least tried.

(Ingested bendiocarb is moderately to highly toxic to various species of birds. The oral LD50 for mallard ducks is
3.1mg/kg, 19 mg/kg in bobwhite quail, and 137 mg/kg in domestic hens)

(http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/bendiotech.pdf)

(Bendiocarb is highly toxic to birds and fish. In mammalian tissue, carbamates are generally excreted rapidly and do not accumulate)
(Wiki)

I stand by the statement that bendiocarb is toxic to chickens/birds so why use it when there are safer alternatives :scratch:

(Permethrin is also used on humans for lice or scabies; the common prescription is Permethrin with 5% concentration for scabies, and OTC (over the counter) treatment for head lice/crabs is usually permethrin with 1% concentration.)
(Wiki)

So 5% seems ample due to its residual effect and is used to kill lice,flea,mites,ants etc. If I remember the back of an old Battles Louse Powder tub they used 5%.

P.s Permethrin is toxic to cats.....for all you cat lovers :roll:

wireworm

Post by wireworm » 13 Aug 2010, 08:34

Ready to use permethrin powders are now 0.5% w/w.

I was working for the company that introduced permethrin to the UK when they launched a flea powder for cats. They withdrew it a few months later after complaints that it didn't just kill the fleas! Strange that cats are so susceptible to this active when most other mammals are not.

I don't know the exact ins and outs as to why Bayer withdrew bendiocarb products from the US, but I understand that the demands on them were felt to be politically motivated (Bayer is not a US company), unjustified and potentially very expensive. They have a lot of other actives available to them.

As far as I am aware, bendiocarb-based products are available in just about every other country in the world. Here in the UK it is the active in some of the most widely used products in the pest control industry and has been for the last 40 years, so the US has lost a very valuable tool. Mind you they still have access to all sorts of actives that have been banned in Europe, such as methomyl and a number of organophosphates. They of course are made in the US..... :shock:

Certainly keep insecticidal dusts away from the birds. They are intended for applictaion into undisturbed voids, such as hollow walls, cracks and crevices, not for application to bedding or the birds themselves. The one exception is diatomaceous earth, which of course contains no active ingredient.

chris87

Post by chris87 » 14 Jul 2013, 13:04

lads i have ant power there handy with permethrin as active ingredient just wondering how long i would have to keeps my chickens out of there shed for after using it ? would i sweep / wash it out after? ect.... thanks in advance

ladyplumber

Post by ladyplumber » 14 Jul 2013, 19:53

I've used said ant powder for the past 2 years or so and only keep the girls out until the dust has settled.

It stays there until I completely clean out and replace the bedding ( 1-2 weeks ) then I re apply with the new bedding.

Apply to coop and leave alone ! :grin:
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington