Broody nest fouling

Moderator: Moderators

Broody nest fouling

Postby coxstool » 08 Sep 2016, 20:26

Obviously my first time broody has not been reading up on the rules. She doesn't appear to understand that she has to leave the nest to poop. I take it that this could be a major issue, she's three days in on her fertile clutch. Any advice ?
coxstool

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Broody nest fouling

Postby CP » 11 Sep 2016, 10:27

Only thing I can think of is to remove her off the nest at least once a day to see if she gets the message.
I hope she does because broody poop is VERY big & stinky!

Good luck. ;)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 166 posts

Re: Broody nest fouling

Postby laffinfowl » 12 Sep 2016, 11:48

Feeding only wheat rather than pellets while the hen is sitting should keep droppings from getting to messy.
Normally lifting the bird out once daily to poo is enough,i used to close the broody coop while the hen is out for10 minutes to give her tome to do her business.
Just don,t forget to reopen it as i did a few times sometimes for up to an hour but with no ill effects to the hatch.
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 197 posts

Return to Eggs and Growers