Do you wash your eggs prior to storing?

Moderator: Moderators

Do you wash your eggs prior to storing?

Postby lifeflower » 19 Mar 2015, 10:00

Hi all - I have heard that washing eggs before storing them is not a good idea because you risk removing the natural protective coat. However, given that eggs can often have chicken poop somewhere on them - how else do you get rid of this if not to wash it?

What do you do? \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
lifeflower
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Do you wash your eggs prior to storing?

Postby MrsMopp » 19 Mar 2015, 10:10

Well I never wash my eggs prior to storing as you are right, it can remove the protective coating, allowing bacteria in. Its quite easy to avoid having dirty eggs by a)not allowing hens to sleep in the nest box b)changing/turning the nesting material and other bedding material regularly and c) checking for eggs and removing them regularly, I do mine several times a day. If I have a bit of dirt on the egg I will remove just prior to use with a damp cloth.

organic chick likes this post.
MrsMopp
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 33 posts

Postby subruss » 19 Mar 2015, 10:40

If you do need to wash a dirty egg just use a soft damp cloth and don't scrub or use anything abrasive :thumbright:

organic chick likes this post.
subruss

Liked in: 354 posts

Postby ladyplumber » 19 Mar 2015, 23:51

I just wipe mine prior to selling :)
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington
ladyplumber

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby brooksidepoultry » 20 Mar 2015, 13:40

if their for eating yes, for hatching no, unless the waterfowl eggs have a nice clump of muck on them, then they get a gentle wipe x
A country lass who loves it all x.
brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 33 posts

Postby drfish » 20 Mar 2015, 14:33

It's not so much of an issue with WF eggs anyway as they are naturally a lot less permeable than chicken eggs. After all, mother duck doesn't give herself a rub down with a towel before she sits on them again ;)
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Return to Chickens