Sex limked

A section to specifically discuss poultry genetics.

Moderator: Moderators

Sex limked

Postby johnys » 16 Jun 2014, 07:26

I have a Rhode Island Red coq and light Sussex hens and have always been led to believe the chicks would be brown for male and white for female but mine have turned out the opposite have i got the wrong information or is it just a one off they are my first chicks hatched last February. also told that Light Sussex rarely go broody where mine go broody at the drop of a hat eggs or not
7 chickens, 2 dwarf goats, 4 Old English Sheepdogs, oh and the wife
johnys
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Sex limked

Postby ccm » 16 Jun 2014, 07:58

This is a sex linked cross and you have the correct colour parents the right way around but you've been told wrongly about the colour of the chicks. Males will be silver/white and females gold.
ccm
Chick
Chick

Postby Henwife » 16 Jun 2014, 08:49

Whoever told you that Light Sussex didn't go broody misinformed you. Pretty well all of the heavy breeds not only go broody but are good mothers. They are also excellent winter layers.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby jillychick » 16 Jun 2014, 14:10

I've recently hatched 5 RIR X LS and the males are yellow /white the females ginger/ gold, however some of mine have yellow legs!!! So the pure parentage is in question!! I'm just waiting to see if they are the right sex for the colour. They are 4 1/2 wks old any tips on what to look for in a male chick as I suspect one off the "hens" is male :shock:
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 193 posts

Postby johnys » 16 Jun 2014, 15:38

Well totally confused now when they hatched one was the usual fluffy yellow the other brown, as they grew changing colour the yellow went white with the usual black markings of the Light Sussex the other stayed brown but with the marking of the LS in black. The white grew at a much faster pace and held himself more erect so i was suspicious he was male confirmed when he started to attempt to crow he is now quite a striking bird usual LS markings with a emerald/black tail plume and black speckled tail feathers, large red comb
7 chickens, 2 dwarf goats, 4 Old English Sheepdogs, oh and the wife
johnys
Chick
Chick

Postby Henwife » 16 Jun 2014, 19:15

Johnys - don't be confused. Gold male x silver female = silver male chicks & gold female chicks. All you need to remember is that it only works for the first generation, so keep your pure breed RIR & LS for breeding. How a chick looks when it's first hatched may bear little relation to it's final feathering, and yours have feathered up exactly as I would have expected from pure bred parents.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Return to Genetics