Female CLB to male Appenzeller

A section to specifically discuss poultry genetics.

Moderator: Moderators

Female CLB to male Appenzeller

Postby drfish » 20 Oct 2013, 09:34

Thinking ahead for next year, would the two aforementioned produce sex linked chicks? And yes, they'll be oddlots, but I'm intrigued as to how they'll look. Cheers in advance
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Re: Female CLB to male Appenzeller

Postby Hen-Gen » 21 Oct 2013, 16:59

What colour Appenzeller?
If you have nothing
Give it away
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby drfish » 22 Oct 2013, 09:18

It's the Joe Average white fella. Spitzhauben.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Postby Hen-Gen » 22 Oct 2013, 14:58

Almost impossible to predict the outcome of any mating where one of the parents is white. Firstly we don't know whether the white parent is recessive white or dominant white and secondly we don't know what colour genes it may be carrying masked by it's whiteness. So it's a case of try it and see! :grin:
If you have nothing
Give it away
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Postby drfish » 22 Oct 2013, 16:15

Will do. I shall report back next spring :mrgreen: Assuming laddo is up to the job, and Mrs Cadburys (Cream (egg bar) Legbar) is receptive and fertile. He's just started treading the silkies in the last few days. They're dumb enough to let him get on with it, but I can't imagine his step sister not being quite as easy to jump. :shock: :lol:

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Postby NCOTB » 07 Nov 2013, 04:47

I thought you had silver spangled drfish?
NCOTB
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 10 posts

Postby drfish » 07 Nov 2013, 10:07

Ahhh, is that what it's called? :oops:

I just thought it was an Appenzeller Spitzhauben. Must have missed the 'silver spangled' bit. :grin:

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Postby Hen-Gen » 07 Nov 2013, 10:37

Ah! In that case.................

................... the pullets will be much the same colour as your Silver Spangled Appenzellers (but less precisely marked). But the cockerels would inherit the gene for silver, the gene for gold (and therefore be yellow) but also the genes for spangling and barring. How these would look in combination is, as far as I know, not known. So please do this mating and report back what the cockerels look like.
If you have nothing
Give it away

drfish likes this post.
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Postby drfish » 07 Nov 2013, 12:48

I'm confused already :grin:

I'll see what happens next year then. He's been hard at it the last few weeks, but mainly with the silkies.

I do wish I understood this genetics thing a bit more. Give me IT any day of the week :lol:

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Return to Genetics