Silver Pencilled issue!

A section to specifically discuss poultry genetics.

Moderator: Moderators

Silver Pencilled issue!

Postby Woodland Hen » 19 Apr 2013, 12:10

I was sold some birds year before last that were all Silver Pencilled and supossidly pure. I bred from them last year and got just 5 chicks (lots of fertility issues) All the chicks were silver, 2 females 3 males, so I was assuming the birds were pure.

This year I have one of last years males back with the first 2 females and last years hens with their fataher. Assuming all are pure this should onlly produce Silver chicks.

As I have both Partridge and silver pencilled birds I have been hatching mixed batches of eggs and as I expect I have both Silver and partridge chicks.
Last night I had an email from someone who had bought eggs and they have told me they have partridge chicks! Now it turns out the birds have just hatched and personally I think they look excatly the same when they hatched, so I have asked that they wait a week until they have the flights through and then let me know.

Am I going mad, there should be no reason these birds are not silver? I have a batch due to hatch next week where only silver birds are in the incuabtor so I will know for sure when they feather up.
The other obvious is that I sent her the wrong eggs, but I really don't think I did that.
Barred Plymouth Rocks, Silver Pencilled and Partridge Wyandottes, 24 cows, 10 sheep, 3 horses, a cat, a dog..........always knackered!
Woodland Hen
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 43 posts

Re: Silver Pencilled issue!

Postby Woodland Hen » 02 May 2013, 12:42

Panic over, my birds hatched last week and I can now see they are all Silver, also have not had a reply from the person who complained so I assume they can now see theirs are all silver too as they will have feathered up!
They are breeding true just as they should do!
Barred Plymouth Rocks, Silver Pencilled and Partridge Wyandottes, 24 cows, 10 sheep, 3 horses, a cat, a dog..........always knackered!
Woodland Hen
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 43 posts

Return to Genetics