cream legbar laying cream eggs

A section to specifically discuss poultry genetics.

Moderator: Moderators

cream legbar laying cream eggs

Postby ocdchooks » 16 Jan 2013, 13:57

hi can any one help me we purchesed 2 cream legbar chicks last july to go with our 2 home bred cream legbar chick (we saw the cockeral defo clb and saw clb hen running around, they were 8 weeks old and looked very simular to ours. just other day we stared getting our first eggs from them. to our amazement when opening nest box i had 1 blue egg (which to be expected) and one cream egg!!!!. has anyone else had this colour egg shell from any of their clb or do we think they are now crossed with something else.
DSC01024.jpg
so photos ive attached may help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ocdchooks

Liked in: 1 post

Re: cream legbar laying cream eggs

Postby Henwife » 16 Jan 2013, 20:40

Ho hum - another one conned. The two birds on the right are not Cream Legbars. I imagine that some bright spark has done that all too common thing of deciding that the parent birds look vaguely like CLBs, therefore that's what they are, chicks possible to sex at hatch (though not necessarily an easy job), so must be CLBs, right, we'll sell them as CLBs. If you've got a true CLB cock then breed with your own two hens and consider the others as Oddlot layers. The Cream in the name refers to their colouring, not their eggs!
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby ocdchooks » 19 Jan 2013, 22:24

thanks for replying, did have some doubts, will breed our own now as have an unrelated cock to our clb hens pictured. i wont be fooled again thats for sure :)
ocdchooks

Liked in: 1 post

Postby darkbrowneggs » 19 Jan 2013, 23:16

These are some of henwifes breeding and very pretty they are too :grin: Nice blue eggs and plenty of them
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
To follow my travel journal see www.thebusphoebeandme.us For lots of info on keeping and breeding Marans see www.darkbrowneggs.info
darkbrowneggs
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 32 posts

Return to Genetics