Cream Legbar x Light Sussex sex link crosses

A section to specifically discuss poultry genetics.

Moderator: Moderators

Cream Legbar x Light Sussex sex link crosses

Postby zzz503 » 04 Dec 2012, 01:28

Has anyone done the CLB x LS sex-linked cross?

I'm in the USA where CLB are rare, so I put a Delaware Hen in with my CLB pair. Delawares are white (silver gene) with Columbian restriction like LS (except they also have barring gene).

I hatched the first 3 chicks from the cross today.

I was expecting more wild-type/ chipmunk stripe chicks with the silver or gold expressed on the sides, but they have very few noticable markings. The one that appears gold has more defined eye stripes (like a female CLB). Anyway I am posting a picture of the 3 chicks. I think the one in the middle is female and the other two are male, but I appreciate feedback from anyone with experience with the CLB x LS sexlinked cross.

IMG_5118.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zzz503

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Cream Legbar x Light Sussex sex link crosses

Postby Hen-Gen » 04 Dec 2012, 11:50

You have no chipmunk striped chicks because the wheaten gene of the Delaware is dominant to the wildtype gene of the Cream Legbar. Furthurmore all chicks are columbian restricted because the Delaware carries this gene too. So of the three chicks pictured you have two males and one female due to the gold/silver sex linked mode of inheritance.
The female chick will feather up to be a buff columbian bird with barred hackles, tail and flight feathers that will lay green eggs and carry (invisibly) a copy of the cream gene. If you put her (and her sisters) back to their father then 12.5% of their offspring should come in Cream Legbar colouration (cream crele).
If you have nothing
Give it away
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby ZacB » 04 Dec 2012, 12:59

Hen-Gen wrote:You have no chipmunk striped chicks because the wheaten gene of the Delaware is dominant to the wildtype gene of the Cream Legbar. Furthurmore all chicks are columbian restricted because the Delaware carries this gene too. So of the three chicks pictured you have two males and one female due to the gold/silver sex linked mode of inheritance.
The female chick will feather up to be a buff columbian bird with barred hackles, tail and flight feathers that will lay green eggs and carry (invisibly) a copy of the cream gene. If you put her (and her sisters) back to their father then 12.5% of their offspring should come in Cream Legbar colouration (cream crele).

It amazes me the wealth of knowledge given freely on forums, Hen-Gen being a classic example =D>

Might pick your brains in the future about Blue Leghorns :grin:
ZacB
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Hen-Gen » 04 Dec 2012, 14:12

Very kind of you to say so but we are all beneficiaries. My most memorable gain was when someone told me about benzyl benzoate as a cure/prevention for scaley leg.
Feel free to get in touch re Blue Leghorns. I have worked with them a bit in a Blue Leghorn/Black Hamburg/Black Minorca project in an attempt to create strain of Blue Rose Comb Minorcas (my greatest failure!). But, heh, we learn more from our mistakes than we do from our successes. :grin:
If you have nothing
Give it away
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Postby zzz503 » 04 Dec 2012, 16:15

Hen-Gen wrote:You have no chipmunk striped chicks because the wheaten gene of the Delaware is dominant to the wildtype gene of the Cream Legbar. Furthurmore all chicks are columbian restricted because the Delaware carries this gene too. So of the three chicks pictured you have two males and one female due to the gold/silver sex linked mode of inheritance.

Thanks Hen-Gen. Very helpful.
zzz503

Postby zzz503 » 11 Dec 2012, 06:35

I hatched out 3 more of the CLB roo over Delaware Hen cross. This time you can see more of the chipmunk strip showing up a bit, at least in the two that are clearly girls (napping with a CLB half sister):
IMG_5121.JPG

The third has some slight gold-ish tinges, but mostly he's yellow/silver looking.
IMG_5125.JPG

Interestingly all three of the birds that are clearly girls have two black dots on the back of their head. Although I have a small sample size, and an ambiguous chick, I am wondering if this is a sex-linked manifestation of the barring gene...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zzz503

Postby Hen-Gen » 14 Dec 2012, 19:40

It is interesting that birds that inherit a single copy of the columbian gene do show some trace of pigment due to this genes incomplete dominance.
I have never noticed, nor heard, that black dots on the head indicate the sex in such crossings. However a single copy of the columbian gene is more effective at pigment restriction in the feathers of males than it is in females so its feasible that the same could apply to chick down.
It would not be a sex linked manifestation of the barring gene because all your chicks will inherit a single copy of this gene.
If you have nothing
Give it away
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Return to Genetics