Cuckoo Scots Dumpy

A section to specifically discuss poultry genetics.

Moderator: Moderators

Cuckoo Scots Dumpy

Postby Birdxman » 27 May 2011, 20:06

I have a question I hope someone can answer for me please?

Can a Cuckoo Scots Dumpy be split/carry Black?

Im asking as I purchased 6 Cuckoo Scots Dumpy eggs--only one hatched and it is a short legged Black.
The Breeder I purchased the eggs from insists the eggs came from his Cucko's so I'm thinking the only way this could happen is if the Cuckoo can be split/carry Black which when it meets a similarly split Cuckoo can produce Black chicks.

Would anyone have the knowledge to confirm or deny if this can happen in Dumpy genetics?
(Im looking for the answer before I bring this black into my Cuckoo only flock)
Thank you
Birdxman
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Cuckoo Scots Dumpy

Postby andoy » 27 May 2011, 20:33

by definition they are black, but in addition to the black they should have the barring gene which gives that cuckoo patern.

The barring gene is sex linked dominant trait. So it is possible that the parent cockerel is not pure (i.e. only one copy of barring gene), but still exhibits the cuckoo pattern. Females can only have one copy of the gene, so they have or haven't got the barring gene.

So I would say that there was a cross at some point to black as I'd expect 100% cuckoo pattern from pure Cuckoo stock. Short legs is creeper gene which only turns up 50% or 66% of hatched chicks (depending on whether only one parent has it, or both have it)
andoy

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Birdxman » 29 May 2011, 16:08

Andy
Thank you for taking the time to explain,I certainly can understand the genetics better and i can understand where this Black has come from now.
I want to keep my Cuckoo's pure if I can, so I think I wont use this black in my pen.
Birdxman
Chick
Chick

Postby andoy » 29 May 2011, 17:43

if it's a hen (which it certainly weill be if both parents are visibly cuckoo) she can still be useful, just don't keep cockerels she sires against cuckoo if you want to have pure cuckoo line.

Female offspring resulting from cuckoo cock x black hens on other hand will be pure cuckoo. This is because cuckoo (barring gene) is sex linked and females can only have one copy that is always inherited from father. So this is a good way of introducing new blood via black hens.
andoy

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Birdxman » 30 May 2011, 12:26

Now that is really interesting Andy-thank you.I certainly want to freshen the blood line up hence why I was after the new eggs in the first place.
(I do love Genetics ,I just wish I understood them better.)
Assuming she is a hen I think I may well use her following your words
thank you
Birdxman
Chick
Chick

Return to Genetics