Chicken calculator

A section to specifically discuss poultry genetics.

Moderator: Moderators

Chicken calculator

Postby Wilt » 19 Dec 2010, 09:26

Chickens, are also food for the soul!

http://www.coachhousecochins.com
Wilt
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 16 posts

Re: Chicken calculator

Postby Magpie » 19 Dec 2010, 14:22

Another one that I use more than the one above: [url=http://kippenjungle.nl/kruisingKipFlexTree.html?DATA=S;Chicken%20Plug-in%20Calculator;gallus;F;kipkiezer_bestanden/;JPG;1,G;H;Silky;;,G;F;Frizzle;;,G;Na;Naked%20Neck;;,G;Hf;Henny%20Feathering;;,G;Cp;Creeper;;,G;Pti;Foot%20Feathering%20%28simplified%29;;,G;V;Vulture%20Hocks;;,G;Mb;Muff%20Beard;;,G;Cr;Crest;;,G;Et;EarTuft;;,G;Rp;Rumplessness;;,G;D;Duplex%20Comb;;,G;Bd;Breda%20Combless;;,G;R;Rosecomb;;,G;P;Peacomb;;,A;H;H+;;;D;;W;,A;H;h;;Silky;R;;;,A;F;F;;Frizzle%20semilethal;H;Frizzle;;,A;F;f+;;;H;;W;,A;Na;Na;;Naked%20neck;H;Naked%20neck%20SF;;,A;Na;na+;;;H;;W;,A;Hf;Hf;;Henny%20feathered;H;Henny%20feathered%20SF;;,A;Hf;hf+;;;H;;W;,A;Cp;Cp;;Creeper%20LETHAL;H;Creeper;;,A;Cp;cp+;;;H;;W;,A;Pti;Pti;;Featherfooted;D;;;,A;Pti;pti+;;;H;;W;,A;V;V+;;;D;;W;,A;V;v;;Vulture%20hocks;R;;;,A;Mb;Mb;;Beard;H;little%20Beard;;,A;Mb;mb+;;;H;;W;,A;Cr;Cr;;Crest;H;little%20Crest;;,A;Cr;cr+;;;H;;W;,A;Et;Et;;Eartufts%20lethal?;H;Eartufts;;,A;Et;et+;;;H;;W;,A;Rp;Rp;;Rumpless%20lethal?;H;Rumpless;;,A;Rp;rp+;;;H;;W;,A;D;D^v;;V-shape%20Duplex;D;;;,A;D;d+;;;H;;W;,A;Bd;Bd+;;;D;;W;,A;Bd;bd;;Combless;R;;E;,A;R;R;;Rosecomb;D;;;,A;R;r+;;non-rosecomb;R;;W;,A;P;P;;Peacomb;D;;;,A;P;p+;;non-peacomb;R;;W;,C;RP;Rosecomb;Peacomb;Walnutcomb;,C;RP;non-rosecomb;non-peacomb;Single%20comb;,C;RM;non-rosecomb;;;,C;RM;non-peacomb;;;,C;NVL;;;Single%20comb;&mgt=Sloc:s+/s+,Iloc:i+/i+,Eloc:e+/e+&fgt=Sloc:s+/-,Iloc:i+/i+,Eloc:e+/e+]Advanced plugin calculator[/url]

Alright, what did I do wrong there then ](*,)
Magpie

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Wilt » 19 Dec 2010, 17:08

I'm sure Bletchley Common can sort it out!! :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

Wilt
Pullet
Pullet

Postby Magpie » 19 Dec 2010, 17:53

:lol: Thing is the url does work if you copy and paste all the text from http:// to Eloc:e+/e+ :?
Magpie

Postby Birdxman » 07 Feb 2011, 20:08

I am sorry but I have gone and 'opened' this chicken calculator (at least) 20 times over months but I have to say I cannot understand one word of how its supposed to work or what I am supposed to do to use it.
Each time I go through it I think maybe it will make more sense now--but NOPE--it dont!
Can anyone offer me some guidance to make it clearer for me?
(I was expecting to put the variety of cock bird on one side and the variety of hen on the other side and hey presto--heres the results of that pairing)
Im sure to you experts its easy but Im very much new to these genetics.
Thank you if you can help.
Mike (maybe thicko!)
Birdxman
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Magpie » 07 Feb 2011, 21:48

You have to know the proper name for the colour of your parent birds. ie. Light Sussex are Silver Columbian.

If you use the first link Wilt gave and click on Show Examples under the Male and Female headers you can choose the right pattern and the calculator will fill in all the genes for you. Hover over the examples that appear to see the proper name for that colour. Just be aware that some colours look alike but will behave differently.

If is the colour of your parents that is important - the breed is irrelevent on the basic calculator.
Magpie

Postby millipup » 07 Feb 2011, 22:33

:grin: THANK-YOU !!!!!!! =D>
millipup

Postby Birdxman » 08 Feb 2011, 20:12

Magpie wrote:You have to know the proper name for the colour of your parent birds. ie. Light Sussex are Silver Columbian.

If you use the first link Wilt gave and click on Show Examples under the Male and Female headers you can choose the right pattern and the calculator will fill in all the genes for you. Hover over the examples that appear to see the proper name for that colour. Just be aware that some colours look alike but will behave differently.

If is the colour of your parents that is important - the breed is irrelevent on the basic calculator.

Thank you Magpie--Now the mists are clearing and it starts to make some sense.
As you can see Millipup waited for me to own up to being stupid before he/she let it be known I wasnt the only one struggling............ :?
Birdxman
Chick
Chick

Postby Lindsay » 08 Feb 2011, 20:32

OK :oops: Me too.
Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 85 posts

Postby andoy » 08 Feb 2011, 20:37

Birdxman wrote:
Magpie wrote:You have to know the proper name for the colour of your parent birds. ie. Light Sussex are Silver Columbian.

As you can see Millipup waited for me to own up to being stupid before he/she let it be known I wasnt the only one struggling............ :?

it's a complicated subject, so it's not surprising most people don't understand it straight away. The calculator lets you experiment with different colour traits (genotype) and how it affects the bird physical appearance (phenotype). A sort of what if analysis. As mentioned some birds can look the same (same phenotype) but have a different genotype. E.g. there are at least half a dozen permutations that can produce a white chicken.
andoy

Postby Wilt » 09 Feb 2011, 09:21

The calculator is a damn protaganist!! :lol: :lol: :lol: It tells you a project will be good in two season! You think Oh I'll have a go at that. Then it takes 5 or 6 seasons at least :lol: :lol: :lol:

Birdxman wrote:

Millipup might have been saying thank you to me for identifying the calculator :scratch: :scratch: :oops:

When you have selected the birds you intend to mate, go further down, click the "Calculate crossing" this will then give the the amount of chicks you will need to hatch to have best chance of all eventualities being covered. And the pheno"type" of the chicks/birds. It also gives you the option to carry either a male or female forward (breed back to mom or dad) with one click. Then click the "Calculate crossing" for results, continue this till you find what you want.

Well I know what I mean! :lol: :thumbright:

Wilt
Pullet
Pullet

Postby Birdxman » 10 Feb 2011, 11:04

Lemon Cuckoo is otherwise known as ????
(I want to see the result of Lemon Cuckoo Cockeral to Buff Hens--Orpington of course)
Birdxman
Chick
Chick

Postby Hen-Gen » 10 Feb 2011, 11:16

Birdxman wrote:
Magpie wrote:

Sometimes known as Buff Barred or Barred Buff
If you have nothing
Give it away
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby Wilt » 10 Feb 2011, 12:37

Hen-Gen wrote:
Birdxman wrote:
Magpie wrote:

Sometimes known as Buff Barred or Barred Buff

Mainly because they are buffs. The lack of colour or sometimes silver of the cuckoo or barred makes the whole appear a lighter shade, I've heard them referred to as silver buff barred and visa versa.

Wilt
Pullet
Pullet

Postby tabsjelu » 27 Nov 2011, 18:42

Woah, really cool didnt know those existed. Did I do the right thing by just selecting the picture that looked nearest?
As mine were rescued from a group of semi wilds, I have already seen the variation in colors especially in the hens but usually the cockerels are similar in color, typical red/green jungle fowl colours or silver/lemon but no patterns whilst the hens are very different in color and patterns. Really interesting and amazing.
tabsjelu

Return to Genetics