Strange Behaviour

Moderator: Moderators

kajlbw
Chick
Chick

Strange Behaviour

Post by kajlbw » 21 Oct 2016, 22:33

Hello all, I've been keeping hens for around 3 years in a field nearby our house. I have 11 birds and they are kept in a large run, behind electric poultry netting with a coop. All has been pretty straight forward up until now. But a week or so ago, when I went to collect the eggs I found 2 small neat piles of layers pellets just inside the door of the coop. I dismissed it as my son had collected the eggs the day before and I thought he must have done it (not sure why and I forgot to ask him!). However today I found the exact same thing, in the same place but my son hadn't been down there. We keep the food outside in the daytime, under a lean-to attached to the coop. We used to put it in the coop at night because of rats however the horrible blighters went inside the coop when they couldn't find it under the lean to. We now put the food away at night in our shed. Could it be rats stockpiling at night before I get down there to take the food away or am I being ridiculous? I'm not sure I believe the chickens, much as I love them, would have the intelligence to bring in a midnight feast! Any ideas gratefully received :grin:

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: Strange Behaviour

Post by kated » 22 Oct 2016, 13:04

I guess you have sussed the culprit - almost certainly a rat, they are so clever! Maybe check inside the house now every night and remove the pellet stockpile - and put poison down in lengths of drainpipe outside the hen run.

kajlbw
Chick
Chick

Re: Strange Behaviour

Post by kajlbw » 28 Oct 2016, 00:18

Hi there, Thanks for your reply. Yes I suspected it was rats. Much nicer to hope it was the hens having midnight snacks though :grin: We've used drainpipe and poison before so I'll get them loaded again and put them down. Dratted things :roll:

Thanks again